Your planning threads

We're completely winging this.. 25 May 2019

21 to 40 of 325 posts

Bridezilla

Reception venue

So with the church booked, it was time to get somewhere sorted for the fun bit- the party! 

We both knew things we didn't want.. hotels or marquees. 

The difficulty lie in what we actually wanted- ha. We are both big foodies and so this was the key part of the day for us.

We also decided very early on that we would not put ourselves in debt for our wedding day. We have therefore set a budget of £18k, with plenty of wiggle room for our honeymoon. 

So, the venue search...

We live in Greater London so decided to try and get as many viewings booked in in one weekend as possible. I had spent some time prior to engagement (ahem) looking at "fantasy venues" so we were able to draw up a shortlist. 

Anything that was insanely over budget, too far away or that we didn't like the menu options was instantly out.

We were looking at a hall/ barn type thing which would let us put our spin on things. 

So without further ado, a (brief) run down of the 5 venues that we visited!

1- The Old Stables, Swithland

Oh how I adored this venue on paper! It is gorgeous, and if you were to "draw" a wedding venue this would be it. We actually saw this last and both F and I walked out and said... "nah". Capacity was a potential problem (max 120 in the evening) and there was just no real flexibility. 

We spoke to the wedding planner and she had said she had got married the summer before. We asked where she got married and it was the venue we have now chosen, so that's got to be good!

2- St Martins House, Leicester

I used to work in hospitality whilst at Uni and had worked some events here. It is a big old school in the city centre. It was a massive room, but that's about it. There are no gardens, unlike some others. 

3- Wygston House, Leicester

So this is a 15th century building that has been recently converted into a bar and restaurant. It is stunning! The main issue, unfortunately, was that it has really really low ceiling beams (this sounds so stupid) but F and I are both very tall and there was just no way we would have been comfortable!! 

Also, whilst it had a small garden, it was very open and in the centre of Leicester. We decided we didn't really fancy sharing our wedding with Leicester's finest on a Saturday night! 

4- The Pumping Station 

My wildcard!

So this is an old pumping station (clue in the name) which has been converted to a gin bar. It's a relatively new venue. When we went to visit, we all went "wow" as we drove round the corner. It is a truly stunning venue. 

We could have long tables (which we always wanted) and it had a gorgeous outside area. 

As it is a bar, the drinks were more expensive than other places, and the caterers were provided by one outside catering company. 

5- Brooksby Hall, Melton Mowbray 

This is an old hall, with beautiful

Bridezilla

5- Brooksby Hall, Melton Mowbray 

This is an old hall, with beautiful gardens and several different rooms for various items. My favorite part was the bridal toilet! 

This venue offered two packages- catered, at a hire cost of £2,300, to use their in house caterers (v. fancy food, quite expensive- min £45 pp) with a drinks package (the one we wanted cost £40 pp for what was basically 4 glasses of wine). 

They also offer a self catering package, at a hire cost of £5,000, and for this you can use any caterers, and, best of all, no corkage!

Decisions, decisions...

We were torn between the Pumping Station and Brooksby, in the end. 

We ran the sums and looked over the photos again and Brooksby ended up coming out the winner! We both agreed that Pumping Station would have been a perfect venue for a party, though, and will certainly keep it in mind. 

So that was that, Brooksby Hall was booked for our big day!

Bridezilla

FutureMrsTomlin wrote (see post):

Just read your planning thread, you've got quite similar priorities to us - both decided definitely no hotel or marquee and we needed good food! 

Have you booked the venue? Yes I always remember the food and drink from a wedding so didn’t mind spending a bit more on that!

Bridezilla

love your church it all seems to be coming together x

Wedding Report:

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/planning/71017-wedding-report--my-shabby-chic-wedding/448221.html

Bridezilla

GinAndBling wrote (see post):

Just read your planning thread, you've got quite similar priorities to us - both decided definitely no hotel or marquee and we needed good food! 

Have you booked the venue? Yes I always remember the food and drink from a wedding so didn’t mind spending a bit more on that!

No we haven't yet, we have sorted the church but are stuck between two for the reception and no idea how to decide! 

Bridezilla

No we haven't yet, we have sorted the church but are stuck between two for the reception and no idea how to decide! 

What are your options? We struggled between two as well! In the end we  did the sums, the venue we have chosen worked out slightly cheaper and had no corkage so we will be able to supply more booze for the price! 

Bridezilla

What are your options? We struggled between two as well! In the end we  did the sums, the venue we have chosen worked out slightly cheaper and had no corkage so we will be able to supply more booze for the price! 

We're between an industrial museum (a lovely old building and we'd have a caterer I used to work for that I know would be brilliant food) or an independent cinema (the building is less impressive but their food again would be amazing and it would work out about half the price of the total cost for having it at the museum)

They're on my thread if you fancy taking a look - I'd really love more opinions as I'm so stuck!

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/my-planning-thread---sheffield-summer-2019/450523.html

Bridezilla

Your church looks so beautiful!  I love an old church.  Tough decision on the venue, but I think I would have made the same choice.  

I'm not a foodie by an means (beans n toast, anyone?) but having good food at a wedding is just essential!  Slash the budget anywhere else but the food, right??

Bridezilla

Thanks guys! 

Kitty I agree- I always remember good food (hence the weightloss thread ). We were talking about centrepieces the other day and H2B made the very good point that he cannot remember a single centrepiece from any venue we have ever been to, but could tell you nearly course by course the menu that was served... 

Bridezilla

The 'tog

In summer we attended our close friends wedding, and the photographer, Abul, was really lovely. He added us all on facebook after and was just so friendly on the night. Not intrusive, just blending in. He also stuck around until well gone 11 which I quite liked. 

After the wedding they sent us some photos and they were absolutely brilliant. You can check him out here, if interested:  https://www.graciousphotography.com/home

After we got engaged, one of the first things we said was that we really wanted Abul to do out pictures. He is (was) Watford based, so F sent him a message whilst we were still on holiday to see if there was any chance he would come to Leicester to photograph our wedding. Luckily he agreed! He gave us some options for dates and we arranged to meet a few weeks later. 

So we met for a coffee in the town we live in, and Abul showed us some of his work and spoke through the sort of thing we were looking for. He also showed us some as yet unseen photos from our friends wedding which were hilarious! 

I mentioned that I was a bit disappointed the church wouldn't let us have photos during the ceremony. Abul offered to come along to the rehearsal so he could meet the vicar and introduce himself, and hopefully set his mind at ease to allow them to let us take one or two pictures of the rings etc. I thought that was over and above, and such a lovely offer.

Anyway Abul gave us details of his (very reasonable) prices and we said our goodbyes. It was only at this point that he mentioned he had relocated to Cheltenham recently, so had drove over two hours in rush hour to meet us for a 45 minute coffee! 

We obviously booked him that evening and paid our deposit- photographer done!

As a slight aside, when I went into work the next day, my friend who is getting married in August mentioned that her photographer had pulled out. I passed on Abul's details and her and her H2B have now also booked him. 

Bridezilla

Save the dates 

There are some things in this wedding I am happy to splash out on (shoes!) and some I despise spending money on (stationary!). 

We ordered these from Vistaprint. There was a complete palava with delivery but we had a 50% off code and they were nice and cheap, and are good quality considering they will be chucked on the fridge for a year. 

These have gone out to all day guests that we definitely want to invite. 

Bridezilla

BetweenTwoLungs wrote (see post):

Ah we're getting married on the same date! Going to love following your planning and you've made me realise I really need to get a move on with the Save the Dates - yours are really lovely! Really love our date, so many of my friends have loved the fact it's a bank holiday too.

Oh amazing! I’m going to have a look at your planning thread too! Yes it's a good date, lots of my friends and family will be travelling so they are glad to be making a weekend of it!

New bride

Looking forward to keeping up to date with your thread. We are 10th May 2019!

so much time and still lots to do!!

Bridezilla

MrsB. wrote (see post):

Looking forward to keeping up to date with your thread. We are 10th May 2019!

so much time and still lots to do!!

Oh just before us! How exciting! 

How you getting on with planning? 

New bride

The planning is going well so far!

ive booked venue,church, photographe,videographe,band, string quartet ffor the church & florist!

Still plenty to be getting on with but feel like I’ve hit a slump, so far away. 😭

Bridezilla

MrsB7 wrote (see post):

The planning is going well so far!

ive booked venue,church, photographe,videographe,band, string quartet ffor the church & florist!

Still plenty to be getting on with but feel like I’ve hit a slump, so far away. 😭

I'm very conscious of how far away it is too! I feel like when we get to the year mark I will actually be able to get properly excited.