Your planning threads

My Planning Thread - Sheffield, Summer 2019

21 to 40 of 173 posts

New bride

FutureMrsTomlin wrote (see post):
Sarah967 wrote (see post):

Im also a sheffield bride getting married in 2019. I cant wait to see your thread unfold and all your plans. Loving it so far!! Xx

Oooh exciting I haven't seen any other Sheffield brides yet! How are you getting on with the planning? Do you have a thread? 

I've got all the major stuff booked, and now starting to think about all the other stuff. I thought about doing a thread but was a little scared. Thinking it would be a good way to get my thoughts out with other brides rather than annoying my friends and family with everything!!

Bridezilla

FutureMrsTomlin wrote (see post):

Im also a sheffield bride getting married in 2019. I cant wait to see your thread unfold and all your plans. Loving it so far!! Xx

Oooh exciting I haven't seen any other Sheffield brides yet! How are you getting on with the planning? Do you have a thread? 

I've got all the major stuff booked, and now starting to think about all the other stuff. I thought about doing a thread but was a little scared. Thinking it would be a good way to get my thoughts out with other brides rather than annoying my friends and family with everything!!

Ooh wow you are organised then! When did you get engaged? Where are you having it? You should definitely do a thread, I'd love to read it! 

Bridezilla

Reception Venue Continued

So as you may be able to tell from the last post, our venues are between the showroom and kelham Island Museum. We really don't know which to choose! We both loved the showroom when we went to see it and thought that was the one, we went to see kelham island museum as we had already arranged it but came out of that loving it. After the museum I thought we would go for that but after the initial love I started having second thoughts. H2B still loves the museum but I am thinking the showroom, I've put pros and cons below if anyone fancies sharing their opinions. 

Showroom

Pros:

-Their chef is so talented and I know food would be amazing 

-Very reasonably priced (would work out ~£5k cheaper than the museum) 

-I love the mezanine floor 

-It's a place we both enjoy going and would like to support

Cons

-It is very plain and simple, not as grand as the museum

Kelham Island Museum

Pros

-The building is lovely and a very individual setting.

-I have experience of the caterer and know they're great. 

-We used to live in the area so it would be sentimental to us. 

Cons

-Much more expensive than the showroom 

-Their dance floor would be round the corner, making me think people may not go to dance/not come to watch the first dance 

-There is a pillar in the middle of the room that I am drawn to on pictures and just find it so ugly (I know this is stupid but it's not something I want to bother me on my wedding photos forever). 

If anyone has any opinions please do share, I really don't know how to choose!!!

New bride

Have you thought about if you have guests staying over? Im thinking there arent as many hotels near kelham island so people would maybe need taxis, whereas showroom is in town so walking distance from hotel. If showroom is cheaper then you can spend the extra your saving on decorations etc to make it that wow space?? Xxx

Bridezilla

Yay Sheffield bride! We now live at J31 (Swallownest) - I feel like I’ve been in that church from the pictures but now you’ve said which it is, I don’t think I have. It’s beautiful! 

We used to rent at Kelham Island, I am so jealous you’re considering having your reception there. I love the quirkiness of it - we had our ceremony in Weston Park Bandstand and then had our reception at Foxholes Farm in Bradfield but KI was our second choice.

For me it would be KI all the way over the showroom but I understand your pros and cons. The showcase doesn’t have any parking does it? With your venues being 20 mins apart, this perhaps needs to be a factor. I’m team KI (if you haven’t gathered!). 

Bridezilla

Helen225 wrote (see post):

Yay Sheffield bride! We now live at J31 (Swallownest) - I feel like I’ve been in that church from the pictures but now you’ve said which it is, I don’t think I have. It’s beautiful! 

We used to rent at Kelham Island, I am so jealous you’re considering having your reception there. I love the quirkiness of it - we had our ceremony in Weston Park Bandstand and then had our reception at Foxholes Farm in Bradfield but KI was our second choice.

For me it would be KI all the way over the showroom but I understand your pros and cons. The showcase doesn’t have any parking does it? With your venues being 20 mins apart, this perhaps needs to be a factor. I’m team KI (if you haven’t gathered!). 

Oh right you are not far from Todwick at all then, I want to get married there because of the sentimental factor but the fact it's beautiful is obviously a bonus! 

Ahh whereabouts were you? We used to rent a flat in millsands (opposite the Tesco express). I really love the quirkiness of kelham, it's so different. We went to see the caterer today though and she said that she wouldn't recommend downstairs at kelham as it's really cramped and the tables are too small for family style food (which we would have wanted from them), we didn't think upstairs at kelham was as special so I'm not sure now! The showroom does have some underground parking that we can use so that's good! 

I love Weston park, I think that would be amazing for a ceremony! Was the weather kind to you? 

Bridezilla

Hey

We had one of the old sawmills at Brooklyn Works (the Alfred Beckett and Sons building opposite The Milestone pub) so down the other end. 

The weather was amaaaazing thank you! I was seriously freaking out about the weather for around two years, especially when a year to the date it was the worst rain I’ve ever seen. I think I just cried all day!! My report is in my signature below if you get realllllly bored! 

Ah never realised the showroom had parking. Great news. 

Bridezilla

Helen225 wrote (see post):

Hey

We had one of the old sawmills at Brooklyn Works (the Alfred Beckett and Sons building opposite The Milestone pub) so down the other end. 

The weather was amaaaazing thank you! I was seriously freaking out about the weather for around two years, especially when a year to the date it was the worst rain I’ve ever seen. I think I just cried all day!! My report is in my signature below if you get realllllly bored! 

Ah never realised the showroom had parking. Great news. 

Ahh right I know where you mean! 

Oh good I'm so glad, I would be panicking too! Will definitely have a read, still got pretty much everything to plan so if you have any suppliers you would really recommend then do let me know! 

Bridezilla

Ohh following! I also love the showroom- that was exactly the kind of venue I would have picked if H2B had no say in the planning (ha!).

I'm a Leicester bride, so not too far away.

Edinburgh is one of my favorite cities, and such a perfect place to get engaged. 

Bridezilla

I think I'm another vote for the Showroom!  I'm a sucker for charity, I personally like the clean look of the site, and the savings are HUGE. You could really use that savings in your budget to personalise everything about the space (or to upgrade so many other areas of your day).

Did you make a decision yet?

Bridezilla

Hello to the new followers and thank you everyone that's given their opinions on the two venues! We still haven't made a decision, which is why I've been so quiet on here as I've had nothing to say!

We went to look at both venues again at the weekend. We took our parents to Kelham this time and they all really liked it, although we've decided if we had it there we would have it upstairs instead of downstairs as there is more space and downstairs was just a bit too small for our numbers. This is what the upstairs looks like: 

Kelham Island Museum Wedding in Sheffield City Centre By Tierney Photography

I still like Kelham upstairs but am not as wowed, I think the one thing that stands out about Kelham is there would be lots of great photo opportunities:

Image result for made in sheffield kelham island signImage result for made in sheffield kelham island signImage result for little mesters street

If we went for Kelham we would enter through this little old street as well which we both really love. 

However, I think I've decided I want the showroom. H2B has said that we can book it if that's what I want but I know he wants Kelham, although normally I would be willing him to let me have my choice I feel like it's a big decision and it's his day too (don't know why I am being so loyal ). We have said we will decide by this Sunday and if we can't decide then we will toss a coin as we both do love both venues!

In other news, we went to a wedding fayre on Sunday and saw some really great suppliers (especially togs) so as soon as we have got the venue decision out the way we will be able to start deciding on other things and booking. yay!

Bridezilla

So still no news on reception decisions (we keep making a decision and then changing our mind, which makes me worried to book anywhere in case we change again!) but in the absence of any news on that front I thought I'd carry on anyway. 

Bridesmaids

I had decided way before we got engaged who my bridesmaids would be. 

Iam a bridesmaid for my cousin this summer, which threw up a few arguments in the family as she is not including our other cousin. I get why she is not as they just aren't close and hardly see each other, I agree with what she's done as I think it's your day and you should do what you want. Having said that, I thought it would be easier to avoid conflict and just have a small amount of bridesmaids so that I didn't include either cousin. Our wedding won't be massive anyway and I've never wanted loads of bridesmaids so I think this works really well.   

I'd always wanted to have a family bridesmaid, rather than just friends but I don't have an obvious sister/future SIL etc. However I have always been close to my godparents daughter, we practically grew up together and although we don't see each other as much now, we still get on so well and I know we always will - so she was an obvious choice. 

Another obvious choice was one of my best friends, we get along so well and she is so supportive and the person I would always go to if I needed help, so she's perfect to have in my wedding party! 

Ihad pictured having 3 bridesmaids but I found there wasn't an obvious third choice without getting into the territory of upsetting some people so I decided to leave it at 2, which I think will be perfect. The 2 I chose definitely had the most excited reactions to the engagement so I know I've made the right choice. 

As it was just before Christmas I planned to get them both something that said bridesmaid on and pretend it was a Christmas present. However, because it was nearly Christmas the shops were full of decorations and gifts so there wasn't much around. I looked in a few shops and then in the range I changed my mind and decided to do something a bit crafty instead. 

I spent ages umming and ahhing over decorating a box and putting sweets and a little note in it or these little card books. H2B was trying to be patient but did point out that actually they won't care which one it is (which obviously was not what I wanted to hear!). In the end I went for the books and wrote messages about what I love about them and memories we have together. I'm glad I chose this in the end as I felt it was a bit more personal. 

Bridezilla

Place names/favours

H2B and I had decided that neither of us was that bothered about favours, it seems like a lot of money for something that most people will forgot to take with them anyway. I decided it would be nice to do something that combines place names and favours. My first thought was wine glasses with people's names on that they could use throughout the day, I then thought about glass candles with people's names on but H2B pointed out that most men would not want a candle. 

As we are trying to bring a Sheffield theme to our wedding we had thought about collecting mismatched Sheffield cutlery to use on the day (Sheffield is very famous for its cutlery if you don't know). However, in the end we thought this would be a lot of effort. That led me to think about stamped cutlery as place names that people can then take home with them. 

I realise it's quite early to be doing favours or place names but we thought as it might take a while to stamp we should get started soon (hopefully I won't change my mind), so I ordered a stamping kit from Amazon and we went to buy some cutlery from antique shops today to start practicing. 

I've just had a little practice and although it's not that easy I'm hoping it will work well! I realised it was super noisy though so going to get ear defenders before I do anymore as I'm a bit of a princess with like things that! 

Bridezilla

Hi there - another Sheffield bride (I guess) here. 

Have you looked at 99 Mary Street & Trafalgar Warehouse? Both are amazing venues - quirky and possibly within your budget. Trafalgar Warehouse. 

For 2018 pricing of Trafalgar Warehouse it was £1000 - which includes warehouse space, a full stocked and licensed bar, event manager, evening event manager and door staff. It's an empty space. You can do what you like with it. 

Mary Street is much smaller but also really nice, warehouse blank space. But I don't think it has draft beer. It's a pop-up bar!

Hope this helps :) I know venues can be overwhelming.

Bridezilla

Desert-bride wrote (see post):

Hi there - another Sheffield bride (I guess) here. 

Have you looked at 99 Mary Street & Trafalgar Warehouse? Both are amazing venues - quirky and possibly within your budget. Trafalgar Warehouse. 

For 2018 pricing of Trafalgar Warehouse it was £1000 - which includes warehouse space, a full stocked and licensed bar, event manager, evening event manager and door staff. It's an empty space. You can do what you like with it. 

Mary Street is much smaller but also really nice, warehouse blank space. But I don't think it has draft beer. It's a pop-up bar!

Hope this helps :) I know venues can be overwhelming.

Oooh exciting! I love finding Sheffield brides! Do you have much planned? 

Thanks for the suggestions, I've had a look and Mary street just looks a bit too small but I will definitely look into Trafalgar warehouse! 

Hahaha you are not wrong there, I've found myself stressing about venues so much even though I feel like it should be an exciting time!