Your planning threads

December 2018 over-excited bride to be!!

181 to 200 of 264 posts

Bridezilla

Wow I've nearly gone a whole month without posting on my thread!!

We are at the 300 days to go mark today - that feels like a bit of a landmark!

Our invite saga is finally over!  For those of you who don't know I had paid someone to make my invites and despite her telling me in October that they were ready and me paying the final balance I had yet to receive them with various excuses of why she couldn't post them etc.

I finally had enough and found out she actually only lives about half an hour from me so yesterday I went to her house to pick them up!  They were actually done and in a box ready so can finally move on from this!  They look great as well so not disputing her skills, just time management and communication!!  I forgot to take a picture of them but will do so tonight and update.

Bridezilla

Got a few other bits ticked off my lists -

Booked to give notice - not until beginning of April as that's the next time I'm off work.  Will give me time to change our driving licences into our new address as neither of our passports are valid so will need birth certificate and driving licences.

Bought a couple more bits for my bridesmaids - silver pashminas and vest tops for getting ready in.  I've got a vest top as well.  Just need to find some cheap pj bottoms to go with them.

Bridezilla

I've also got my hair accessories sorted.

My bridesmaid is lending me the hairband she wore at her wedding which will go perfectly!  She also has some sparkly hair pins which I'm also going to borrow.

I've ordered some personalised cufflinks for H2B, they should be delivered this week so I'll post a pic when they turn up.

I've also decided on my fishbowl decorations!  The fishbowls are to go along 2 big windowsills in our main venue room. So there will be 4 on each sill.  I've ordered some metallic purple pillar candles and silver sand which looks very fine so hoping to put fairy lights at the bottom of the bowls which will shine through the sand on top and then have the candle in the middle!  The bits have arrived today so going to do a mock up tonight.

Bridezilla

My centrepieces are going to be a crystal tall candle holder on a mirror plate which the venue provides.  Around the base will be 3 tealight holders which are silver and then 3 silver little bowls which will have gypsophilia in. Bit hard to describe and will even harder to do a mock up of it as the main piece is supplied by the venue!

On another note we have our first planning meeting booked in with the venue on 28th February which is very exciting!

Bridezilla

Our venue emailed me this morning with some special offers that they have running for Valentines Day.  So I've now booked the following -

Silver sparkly table runners for the wedding breakfast - at the beginning of planning I was definitely going to have these, then I couldn't find anything that looked good quality for a reasonable price to buy so now our venue are offering them to hire for £4 each which is fine and I know they will be good quality.

They also had an offer to hire their cream carpet aisle runner and 4 lanterns for £50.  Normally the carpet is £45 to hire on it's own and the lanterns are normally £11 each and as I was going to hire them all anyway I'm very pleased to get them for half the price!

We will have 2 lanterns half way down the aisle and 2 lanterns at the end of the aisle where we will be standing with flower petals scattered in between.

One other thing we have booked is the giant LOVE letters.  These came free with our package as a special offer when we initially booked it.

Bridezilla

We have also booked a Magic Mirror for the evening, we originally had a photobooth booked but I wasn't happy with it after a lot of miscommunication with the supplier about the wedding date so I cancelled it and luckily got my deposit back.

We've now gone for the Magic Mirror using a supplier that is recommended by the venue.

Bridezilla

So I've put together a rough order of the day, I've put this on our wedding website for guests to see in advance when they RSVP.  I was thinking of having it on a sign as well at the venue but I've decided against it as it's probably an unnecessary expense.

1.30pm - guests arrive, welcome/pre ceremony drinks served - these will be mulled cider and tea and coffee

2.30pm - ceremony

3.00pm - drinks reception/canapés/photos

4.30pm - take seats for wedding breakfast

4.45pm - speeches

5.00pm - wedding breakfast

7.30pm - evening guests arrive

8.00pm - cut the cake

8.15pm - first dance

8.30pm - Band - first set

9.30pm - Band break - DJ instead

10.00pm - Band - second set

11.00pm - Band finish - DJ instead

12.00am - home time

Does the above sound OK?  Have I missed anything?

Bridezilla

One last little update for this week.  My H2B's personalised cufflinks have arrived.

They are a bit smaller than I expected but they were a very reasonable price and he'll only wear them the one day so I don't mind!

The left hand one says the time we are getting married and the right one says see you at the altar, K HEART G and then the wedding date.

Bridezilla

Your timings look good.  

I've never been to a wedding with drinks etc before the ceremony.  Its a nice idea for those guests who've travelled a way - as long as they don't have the added pressure of needing to be there earlier.  Will there be waiting staff to clear everything away before the ceremony?

Have you discussed the order with your venue?  Make sure they know you're planning to have the speeches before food - having worked at weddings, I know this can cause a bit of a headache 'backstage' if its not very carefully coordinated!   Generally at functions with sit down meals, the guests are called in sit down when the meal is ready to be served - having the speeches first makes things a little trickier for them to ensure everything is hot and ready to go at the right moment - you don't want either the food sitting around waiting for too long, or your guests waiting to eat after the speeches 

Bridezilla

Kelly224 wrote (see post):

So I've put together a rough order of the day, I've put this on our wedding website for guests to see in advance when they RSVP.  I was thinking of having it on a sign as well at the venue but I've decided against it as it's probably an unnecessary expense.

1.30pm - guests arrive, welcome/pre ceremony drinks served - these will be mulled cider and tea and coffee

2.30pm - ceremony

3.00pm - drinks reception/canapés/photos

4.30pm - take seats for wedding breakfast

4.45pm - speeches

5.00pm - wedding breakfast

7.30pm - evening guests arrive

8.00pm - cut the cake

8.15pm - first dance

8.30pm - Band - first set

9.30pm - Band break - DJ instead

10.00pm - Band - second set

11.00pm - Band finish - DJ instead

12.00am - home time

Does the above sound OK?  Have I missed anything?

Exactly the same as ours but we are half an hour earlier, although maybe I would say arrival 2pm an hour is quite a wait for everything to begin? 

Bridezilla

Thanks ladies for your comments - really helpful.  We've decided to let people know that they can arrive between 1.30-2.00pm for a drink if they want to.  All the drink serving etc. is done by the venue so that's no issue.

We had our first planning meeting with our venue last week and went through the order of the day and they said speeches before the meal was becoming more common so they had no problems doing that

Bridezilla

Also booked our appointment to give notice - 5th April.  Need to get both our driving licences changed into our new address as our landlord pays all the bills etc. so have no utility bills with our name and address on them!  Neither of us have an in-date passport either as we've not been abroad for about 10 years so need to get our birth certificates dug out by our Mum's!!

Bridezilla

Made a few of the actual wedding decisions this week rather than just buying things although I have bought some personalised stickers to seal the invites with, some personalised candles for my Mum and MIL and some personalised boxers for my OH that say Property of Mrs Holland on them.

We've decided that our witnesses will be our Mum's.  I think they will appreciate that.

Bridezilla

We've also decided on our drinks and food - very important!

For our drinks reception we will be serving Peroni, Kir Royale and sparkling wine.  We have 2 drinks per person included in our package but we will be having the drinks topped up all the way through the drinks reception and then any extra we have will come off our bar tab that we have to set up in advance with the venue.

Our canapés will be a selection of the following -

Cumberland sausage with mustard dip

Sea salt and cracked black pepper potato wedges

Butterfly king prawns with a sweet chilli dip

Dolcelatte and pecan tartlet

Sausage and glazed onion tartlet

Chicken satay with spicy peanut glaze

Jalapeno pawn served on a Chinese spoon

Citrus-marinated feta and olive crostini

Smoked salmon filo tart

Bridezilla

Our wedding breakfast will be the following -

Starter - chicken liver parfait served on toasted ciabatta with a red onion jam

Main course - locally sourced loin of pork served with roast potatoes, stuffing, pork gravy and mixed vegetables

Vegetarian option - roasted vegetables pithivier - puff pastry parcel filled with fresh roasted vegetables and mozzarella finished with a spinach, tomato and basil sauce

Dessert - rich chocolate mousse with a Baileys panna cotta and Baileys cream

Fairly safe menu I'm afraid - nothing wild about it but I would rather go for standard options that I know people will enjoy eating.

Wine served will be Pinot Grigio (white) and Pinot Noir (red) with Prosecco for the toasts.

We do get to go for a tasting evening but it won't be until October/November time so we just thought we would decide now as the tasting evening is a mix of all different food options so we won't necessarily be able to taste our choices anyway.