Your DIY ideas

Invitations

1 to 14 of 14 posts

Bridezilla

So, I'm very near finishing my diy invitations but I'm a bit unsure about how to address them. We've had to be very strict with the guest list due to numbers so I need to be sure that only those invited rsvp! 

For example, cousins are invited but some of their partners are not (those i have never met and don't know) 

If i put only my cousins name on the envelope will she know that only she is invited? Or shall I address it to my auntie, with my uncle and cousins names on there also? That will be more obvious that only family is invited, I just wasn't sure if it was weird as she doesn't live there any more! 

Bridezilla

I addressed the envelope to the people invited, and just didn’t write the names of those who weren’t. We didnt have any problems with this, but there were some people who asked if partners could come to the evening.

Wedding addict

I am also following this thread for advice as we are not inviting children, but to be fair have verbally told everyone now so hopefully it won't be an issue on the Rsvp.xx 

Wedding addict

I think it would be strange to send the invite to your aunt's address if your cousin does not live there anymore. Personally, if an invitation was only addressed to me I'd assume I wasn't given a plus one. But I'm sure anyone who is unsure would just ask surely?

New bride

You address the invite to those who are invited. And if your cousins are adults, they should receive their own invitation, sent to their own address.

If you are inviting someone to your wedding, you must also invite their partner. It does not matter that you do not know them, they are a social unit and must be invited together. Why should they attend your party to celebrate your relationship whilst you are completely disrespecting theirs?

Wedding addict

I’m sorry but I completely disagree with the above comment saying you are disrespecting your cousins relationships by not inviting their partners. If her cousins relationships are so important why has she not met their partners yet? Everyone is different but I personally would not invite people to celebrate my marriage who I haven’t even met.

I would address the invites to the individual cousins I’m sure if they are unsure who is invited they will ask 

Bridezilla

Agreed, there is no 'must invite...' Even Pippa Middleton had a no ring no bring policy! 

Bridezilla

Thanks for your input everyone. 

In a perfect world we would of course be able to invite aunties, uncles, cousins and partners, however with both of us having big families on both sides, that just isn't feasible. Cousins partners could of course be welcome in the evening, we just don't have the space (or money) at the wedding breakfast for people we don't know. 

Cousins that are married are of course invited as a couple as we know them! 

New bride

MrsFtobe2019 wrote (see post):

I’m sorry but I completely disagree with the above comment saying you are disrespecting your cousins relationships by not inviting their partners. If her cousins relationships are so important why has she not met their partners yet? Everyone is different but I personally would not invite people to celebrate my marriage who I haven’t even met.

I would address the invites to the individual cousins I’m sure if they are unsure who is invited they will ask 

So you think it's acceptable to judge the seriousness of someone's relationship then? I haven't met the partners of some of my cousins, yet I am inviting them, as they are important to my cousins.

And as for Pippa Middleton's "no ring no bring" policy, it wasn't acceptable. It doesn't suddenly make it okay just because she is well known. Some couples decide that they do not wish to get married, and may have been together longer than the couple getting married. Do you suggest that they aren't invited?

OP, I suggest you make room in your budget for the people that matter most to your loved ones. Put extra money aside each month. I'm sure if your fiance can afford a Tiffany engagement ring then you can afford a few extra meals.

Bridezilla

How do you know how long he saved for the engagement ring? I think that comment is a little judgemental. 

I would address just to the cousin we are not inviting plus ones that we haven’t met. They will be invited to the night. I had this early in our relationship and thought it was lovely that the bride and groom invited me to the evening, I certainly didn’t expect a full day invite from someone I didn’t know. 

Bridezilla

Rachel chill out. This is a nice, friendly and positive forum. No judgement please. 

No ring no bring is perfectly acceptable! If a cousin was in a long term relationship but not married then OP would likely have met them, know them and therefore invite them. Its not just about money. One thing we specifically wanted was not to have ppl we didnt know sharing our special day. Ended up that we did actually but that's another story! 

Bridezilla

I don't mind if my partner gets invited and I don't. I'm not self-obsessed enough to imagine that other people plan their guest lists with the seriousness of my relationship uppermost in their mind. People have different budgets and priorities, I don't take it personally.

As for the invites, I'd send them to adult guests' home addresses. I think most people realise that if your partner's name, & guest or +1 aren't on the invite, you're on your own Jimmy 😉

Bridezilla

Blush2018 wrote (see post):

I'm think going to handwrite the name of the single person invited onto the RSVP to save confusion. All they then need to do is tick whether or not they can come and post it back. I'm giving pre stamped envelopes too.

That's a good idea. I've already done the pre stamped addressed envelopes so it's just be a matter of adding the names to the card. 

And as for the engagement ring comment... wow.