You & Your Baby

28 day cycle can anyone please explain?

1 to 8 of 8 posts

Wedding addict

Hi, I wonder if anyone can explain.

The average cycle is 28 when trying to conceive day 14 is the best day (according to what I have been told)

What if you are not average?!

My cycle is anything from 23 to 32 days, how can I work out my best days to conceive.

Also doctor sent me for a day 21 blood test this was unsuccessful and I need to go for another one, but with out a textbook period/cycle will this day 21 blood test ever be successful?

Thanks

Bridezilla

I don’t have a 28 day cycle either and I’ve never done the whole actively trying thing, just when we fancy and without protection, but I think the best way would be to concentrate on your body.

TMI but you can pay close attention to the vaginal discharge, and I think when it’s clear and consistency of egg whites is when you’re ovulating, but I’m not 100% sure do check! There are other signs to look out for as well.

ive also heard of ladies taking their internal temperature every morning and that’s a way to predict ovulation too.

you can also buy ovulation tests but they could be a waste of money if your irregular.

Bridezilla

You can have a 28 day cycle and still not ovulate on day 14. I used to ovulate around day 10 or 11. I knew this from taking my temperature and using a fertility monitor to track the LH surge.

You may want to consider using the TTC thread as there's some helpful info on there. 

Bridezilla

Download an app called clue and that might help x

Wedding addict

Thanks all.

I seemeed to spend so long trying not to get pregnant though life, when the time to be pregnant has come it has been far more complicated than I expected.

Bridezilla

I completely understand what you mean about trying to not get pregnant. You spend so long thinking if you miss one pill or have unprotected sex once you will definitely get pregnant when in reality it’s so much harder.

Come join us on the TTC thread :)

Wedding addict

The irony of it is the more you try the less likely it is to happen! Which is probably what everyone tells you and doesn't make it any easier!

Even if your cycle is a little irregular or bang on the same principle applies. 

The sperm lives inside for up to 5 days so as long as you are within that 5 day window either side you should be grand. Granted this still isn't ideal as you want it exactly on! 

I work in early pregnancy/female health and early pregnancy scans and the amount of times people think they are x amount of weeks along when really they are much earlier is unreal this is because ovulation is quite hard to track. You will usually notice a change in vaginal discharge (making it easier for the sperm to survive ans travel) and sometimes experience ovulation pain.

Wedding addict

Thanks I will have a look at the TTC page.

I am trying not to think too hard about it but the more I try not to think the more I think lol, it is starting to become a vicious circle.