Wedding fashion

To bustle or not to bustle?

1 to 19 of 19 posts

Bridezilla

I had my first dress fitting on Saturday, it went really well apart from me totally forgetting to discuss the possibility of having a bustle added to my dress, Doh!

Before I ring the seamstress, I've actually started wondering if I would like it bustled or not. Or if I should just have a wrist loop attached?

I've heard of bustles snapping during dancing... My train is long-ish but it is quite light, but I don't want to pay for a bustle if it's not worth it. I'm really tempted to just use a wrist loop but I'm not sure how practical it would be?

Just wondered if anyone has any advice, did you leave your train down all night and regret not having it bustled? Did you just use a wrist loop and if so, did it annoy you having to carry it all night?

Or if anyone has any photos of their dress bustled and unbustled it would be so helpful, because I'm finding it hard to imagine what it would look like :-)

For reference, this is the back of my dress....

Thank you!

Bridezilla

My seamstress put in a wrist strap and an over bustle. Used the wrist strap for the day when I was moving around a lot and then put the over bustle up just before the evening. It snapped within minutes and so I used the wrist strap all night. It was absolutely fine to dance with and I had quite a lot of fun swosshing around (it that’s correctly spoelt :p). I also found that our first dance photos looked great with my train flowing beside us. My train was similar to yours in length too. Hope that helps alittle. 

Wedding addict

My train was a little larger than yours, and it was made from heavy mikado silk. I had a bustle, and it snapped about an hour into the reception. I used the wrist loop, and then that broke too when someone stood on it. I ended up with a heavy train slung over my arm for about 3 hours!

I’d suggest getting both sewn in, just in case, and keep your fingers crossed you don’t have a double disaster like I did! The fabric on your dress (which is beautiful, btw), looks a lot lighter, so I’m sure it’ll hold better.

Bridezilla

I didn’t have anything added, I wanted my train down, and down it stayed. It didn’t annoy me at all and I also loved swooshing it around all night.

i hate bustles and didn’t want anything looped round my wrist all night.

Bridezilla

Thank you so much for the replies, you've all been really helpful. I plan on dancing a fair bit, and whilst I don't mind it swishing about, I'm more worried about taking up most the dancefloor and having people stand on it. Our venue isn't the biggest.
Then on the other hand, I like the train on my dress and seems a shame to chose a dress with a train but then spend most the day with it bustled.

MrsRichardson - Definitely helps thank you. I've heard of a few bustles breaking, must be gutting when it happens and hope it didn't rip your dress in the process!

Kitty12 - I can't believe both of yours broke! Bless you. Your dress sounds like it was heavy too so can imagine you had arm ache by the end of the evening. Thanks for your reply

MrsJ2017 - See the photo of you dancing with the train down looks lovely, I think I'd enjoy swishing mine around too  I'm more worried about people standing on it and snagging it, I know it's going to happen but thought a bustle might reduce chances of it happening. It just seems a shame to chose a dress with a pretty train and then spend all evening with it bustled.

Bridezilla

VegasLou wrote (see post):

I’m going to have the wrist loop added, I would worry about the bustle snapping and ripping the dress. Your dress is beautiful, such a pretty colour.

Aww thank you, I've had so many dress wobbles but in the above photo I'm pinned in by over an inch on each side! So I felt so much better once it fit again.
The colour is ivory lace over 'almond' gown, which is just a real slight blush hue. I always thought I'd get an ivory gown but I tried that colour on in the sample and just loved that it was a touch different and less yellowy.

Anyway I completely digress - I'm worried about the bustle snapping too. I think I might go for the wrist strap, seeing as there hasn't been a single pro bustle reply yet :-)

New bride

My SIL had her dress bustled for most of the day and it stayed secure all evening with no problems, so not all bustles break!

Bridezilla

I plan to have a double bustle as my dress is heavy. I want to keep the train down for my first dance but them will have it in a bustle for the rest of the evening so it hopefully doesn't get trampled on 

Bridezilla

MissGx wrote (see post):

Thank you so much for the replies, you've all been really helpful. I plan on dancing a fair bit, and whilst I don't mind it swishing about, I'm more worried about taking up most the dancefloor and having people stand on it. Our venue isn't the biggest.
Then on the other hand, I like the train on my dress and seems a shame to chose a dress with a train but then spend most the day with it bustled.

MrsRichardson - Definitely helps thank you. I've heard of a few bustles breaking, must be gutting when it happens and hope it didn't rip your dress in the process!

Kitty12 - I can't believe both of yours broke! Bless you. Your dress sounds like it was heavy too so can imagine you had arm ache by the end of the evening. Thanks for your reply

MrsJ2017 - See the photo of you dancing with the train down looks lovely, I think I'd enjoy swishing mine around too  I'm more worried about people standing on it and snagging it, I know it's going to happen but thought a bustle might reduce chances of it happening. It just seems a shame to chose a dress with a pretty train and then spend all evening with it bustled.

Honesty I really didn’t care about it, I remember just putting it back round my wrist and off I went. I was just too just having fun and dancing around greeying evening guests. Either way I think you’ll be so engrossed in your day that either option will be great :)

Wedding addict

I had a wrist loop and a bustle on mine. I used the wrist loop in the day if I needed to scoop up the train. Then I bustled it after the first dance - and was glad I did as I think it would have ended up filthy otherwise as our dance floor was pretty full all evening and I was taking up a lot of space! My bustle held really well all night - the seamstress reinforced 3 of the buttons on the back of the dress so I could choose where to bustle it on the night.  My dress was similar to yours in terms of train size/shape if that helps (but I have no pictures of it bustled sorry!)

Bridezilla

I had a bustle and wouldn't have had it any other way. I put it up just before the first dance so it wasn't most of the day by any means and we had most of the photos done by then. We did go for another shoot at sunset and here is a picture from then of the bustle:

I think it looks quite nice! We did a choreographed first dance which literally wouldn't have worked without the bustle but I cant imagine dancing around so freely during the evening without one either. I did actually mean to ask for a loop and a bustle but forget but I don't think I'd have bothered using the loop anyway. My dress was made of a super light flowy silk chiffon so I suppose that contributed to me not being in the slightest bit concerned about it breaking. Though the loops she put in for the bustle I could tell were super strong. As my train was quite wide, she put in three bustle as you can sort of see in the pic. It doesn't cost much so I would just go for it so you can see how you feel on the day. Trying your dress on for fittings just isn't the same and as finding out how you will feel on the day wearing it for hours. 

Bridezilla

Thank you everyone for your replies, it's really helped!

Mrs2018 & Mrs-17 - If I get one added I'll probably do the same as you both and bustle it after the first dance. I'm only worried about it getting trampled on and dirty, if it wasn't for the fear of it getting ripped by heels on the dancefloor I'd happily leave it down all night.

Jenni8 - Thanks for your reply. I read your report when you wrote it, your dress was so beautiful and I agree, it looks just as lovely bustled. I want to be able to dance on the evening, I might have to consider getting one for that reason.

Wedding addict

Just to add as well, chances are you will get dirt on the dress anyway, and you probably won’t worry. Once the ceremony is out of the way, just enjoy it. Someone stood on mine and left a muddy footprint on it about 10 minutes after the ceremony, and after an initial moment of panic, I just realised it wasn’t worth stressing about. It was pretty filthy by the end of the evening (winter wedding too, so going outside was always going to be a risk!). I had it cleaned afterwards and it’s pristine again. 

Try not to worry too much, you’ll be having such a great time on the day that all the little worries will vanish :-)

New bride

I'm def bustling mine for the first dance - I have one put in (but was warned not to sit down with it bustled!!) but it's actually quite light even though I've got a bit of a train but no way can I have it down all night, I or someone else would rip it! It does have a loop as well so planning to use that throughout the day to try and protect it as much as possible, then bustle for the evening just before the cake/first dance I think.

At least if you have one put in, you'll have the option on the day, just gives you a bit of peace of mind if you do want to put it up out of the way

Bridezilla

I spent pretty much the entire evening on the dancefloot, the train really wasn’t a problem at all. Out venue wasn’t huge and the dance floor had to be quite small due the pillar placement.

i do remember my SIL scooping my train up and moving it over at one point when the floor was especially full, but people generally do make way for the bride and I had no problems twirling away.

It got dirty underneath, I didn’t care after the ceremony, it’s a single use item and I wanted to concentrate on having fun not trying to preserve the dress. If you’re worried about dirt though you may as well get a bustle added. If you don’t mind how they look then I can’t see it being an issue for you on the day if you decide to put it up.

I personally don’t like them at all so I wouldn’t have put mine up no matter what, but as I said I loved having it down.

If you have one added then you have the option to use it, but if you decide you don’t want to, you can just leave it down.