Wedding fashion

Childhood dream dress

1 to 13 of 13 posts

Bridezilla

ok so I’m not sure the title is right, but did anyone have a dress they really loved when they were younger?

I wasn’t a big wedding obsessive, but I once saw a silver dress in a shop window as a teen and decided I would wear one of those when I got married.

I saw this dress and decided it was the one!

I actually still really like most of the dress, apart from the gathered bit near the hips.

I love the way the lace hangs over the tulle, and I love the shape of the neckline (this shape really suited me when trying on dresses). I think I could actually have happily worn this dress if there was a way to change the gathers. 

On reflection though I doubt silver would have been quite my colour!

I ended up with a v neck tulle and lace ivory a line dress.

How about you? How does your ideal dress compare with your actual dress? Do you still like the dream dress? Would you wear it?

Try to find a picture of you can!

Bridezilla

I was obsessed with these medieval/princess/fantasy inspired wedding dresses as a child (...and teen....), in fact I found a dress online when I was around 14 that I was adaman I would have. I can't find it now haha but these are similar to the sort of thing I wanted as a child/teen...

I now have a very traditional, a line, V neck dress haha

Bridezilla

Sadieee wrote (see post):

I was obsessed with these medieval/princess/fantasy inspired wedding dresses as a child (...and teen....), in fact I found a dress online when I was around 14 that I was adaman I would have. I can't find it now haha but these are similar to the sort of thing I wanted as a child/teen...

I now have a very traditional, a line, V neck dress haha

I had a brief fling with the idea of one of these as well, when I was about 13-14. The bridal shop by my school had one in with a deep red crushed velvet bodice 🙊

Bridezilla

MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

I had a brief fling with the idea of one of these as well, when I was about 13-14. The bridal shop by my school had one in with a deep red crushed velvet bodice 🙊

I just thought they looked so romantic and loved the sleeves haha wanted to a be a proper princess like from a book I think :D

Bridezilla

I remember when I was a teen, I went through the whole goth/emo phrase and back then when you are that age, you think that is who you really are and I was sure I would have a goth themed wedding and wear a black wedding dress and a lot of eyeliner. I ended up wearing a purple dress with only a tiny bit of make up on my actual wedding day about 10 years later

Bridezilla

Kelly224 wrote (see post):

Mine was always the big princess dresses! I was 100% sure that I would have one when I got married. I did try some on but they made my look massive, I’ve ended up with a fishtail. 

The ones I lusted over in my teens were similar to the below.

That's the pnina tornai dress isnt it? Features on almost every episode of SYTTD it feels like haha

Bridezilla

As a teen I was always adamant I was going to have a blue wedding dress! As it is mine is gold A line with ivory lace overlay.

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Bridezilla

Not so much childhood but the one that sticks for me is Abbey Clancys dress.... I don't know why but I think it is perfect and it was always in my mind when shopping. Saying that I've had children, eaten since 2011 and would look like a whale .... a girl can dream hey 🤣🤣

Bridezilla

This was mine from The King and I.

I did try one on that was just as big but ended up with a lace fit and flare which was far more flattering on me. 

Bridezilla

I was always very specific that I wanted a strapless sweetheart neck super tight to the waist then POOF giant skirt.

Luckily since I'm only 23 I got to scratch that itch with my prom dress!

My wedding dress is the same top but it's a fishtail and I'm wearing a lace crop top over it 

Bridezilla

As a teen I whole heartedly thought that I’d end up with a Grecian style dress - really understated and very floatly. Maybe something like this:

In the end I’ve gone for a princess dress with a fuller skirt, covered in lace (don’t know how to describe it but not the usual flowery lace) and an illusion lace back. 

Bridezilla

I always loved Gwen Stefani's wedding dress: 

I loved the dip dye and the drama. Totally what I thought I wanted. 

And then I tried on a bunch of big dresses and got fed up with the weight and the lack of ease of movement. I was fed up after wearing them for like twenty minutes, never mind a whole day. Ended up with a tea length dress instead. Much easier to schlep around in;: