Receptions

White Wine at the Reception

1 to 9 of 9 posts

Bridezilla

Hello :) Ok so it suddenly dawned on me last night that white wine is usually served chilled but we want the wine on the tables for people to help themselves. I'm not a drinker at all, mostly t-total so have never noticed at other weddings if the white wine was at room temperature or not? Can anyone tell me if they ever noticed it, is it a faux pas? Thank you :)  

Bridezilla

Yes I’d notice (sorry!) and probably wouldn’t drink it as warm white wine is horrible. Most weddings I’ve been to, the catering staff would just pop it on the table out of the fridge just before sitting down (ideally in a cooler), if not going round and serving. 

The other option is to provide a pot of ice on each table that people can add to their wine, if its going to be out for a long time. 

Bridezilla

GinAndBling wrote (see post):

Yes I’d notice (sorry!) and probably wouldn’t drink it as warm white wine is horrible. Most weddings I’ve been to, the catering staff would just pop it on the table out of the fridge just before sitting down (ideally in a cooler), if not going round and serving. 

The other option is to provide a pot of ice on each table that people can add to their wine, if its going to be out for a long time. 

Thank you for your response! Bit of a tricky one though as the venue is a barn with no refrigeration. The caterers might have something portable but not sure how big and how much of it would be taken up by the food they will be serving. The more I get into the finer details of planning this wedding, the more of a logistical nightmare I'm finding it. I don't have much help on hand so having to do most things myself - my family don't drive so would find it difficult to take things to the barn on my behalf. This means I have to go and set up the barn and deliver things like ice last minute when I should be getting ready?? I do think a chat with the caterers might help though, see what they can do. Just hope its not added expense!   

Wedding addict

At a wedding I’ve attended recently the white wine was left in the table for people to serve themselves in Ice buckets so it was still chilled

Bridezilla

What time is the wedding? If you or h2b drop the wine off in big ice buckets and leave them in a shaded area they should keep them cool for a few hours. Even once the ice melts the water will be cold. You can also buy something like these for the wine to chill it if your caterer would be able to freeze them until they went onto the tables? They would take alot less space from them than bottles would

Bridezilla

Our caterrs charged us somethin like 10-20 quid for trays of ice for the wine so it was chilled when it went on to the table - I'm sure they will be able to sort somethin for you

Wedding thread:

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/my-november-wedding/435410.html

Bridezilla

Not sure if this is an option for you but I went to a wedding in the barn that had an old trough full of ice that the drinks were in and it worked really well. 

Is there no one at all that drives that could take some ice for you? I would see if anyone can do it just before the wedding or speak to your caterers - I'm sure they will be able to sort something for you! 

If you really can't get it chilled I would scrap the white, the majority of people would rather drink red than warm white I would imagine. 

Bridezilla

Hi All,

Thank you for your suggestions. I've sent an email to the caterers and waiting for a response. Just basically asked what they can do to help if they can. 

H2B is not an option 😂 As much as I love him to death, he's not very good at being organised - he also personally wouldn't give a flying you know what if the white wine was warm or not because he won't be drinking it, therefore not his problem. I admire his attitude sometimes, why stress about the small things?! Also he suffers bad anxiety, we both do but I handle mine better. He's going to be a wreck on the day so I don't expect much from him apart from turn up and get married. 

Those chilled wine jacket things look great but at £6 each and 20 bottles of wine, it would be costly...also what on earth would I do with them after the wedding lol would you like one? I'll be giving them away for free on here! 😉😂 

We're having a hired bar provided by the caterers sister company so don't really have that many drinks to chill tbh so a trough might be a little OTT... while typing this I've just suddenly thought duh! The hired bar will probably have refrigeration!