Receptions

What cake flavour??

1 to 16 of 16 posts

Bridezilla

I'm making our cake myself and want to do 3 tiers. The bottom will be vanilla sponge with jam, the middle layer chocolate sponge with salted Caramel and all layers I'm planning on serving with a dollop of fresh thick cream. But no idea what to do for the top layer! All I can think of are red velvet (but don't want a coloured sponge since it'll be a naked cake) and lemon drizzle (which I dislike the flavour of) oh and definitely not fruit cake... Any other ideas?

New bride

Carrot cake? Coffee?

Love the sound of this too btw! 

Bridezilla

White chocolate and raspberry?

Coffee and walnut?

Wedding addict

Cherry and almond? Banana? Coconut?

Bridezilla

What flavours does ur hubby2be like? U have over a year 2 try them all out.... x

Bridezilla

Oooh I'm making my own naked cake too! My H2B loves fruit cake and marzipan but I hate it so the bottom tier will be a simnel cake, middle tier is strawberry and thyme and top tier is lemon with limencello buttercream and homemade lemon curd. All gluten and dairy free as I'm ceoliac and H2B has an allergy to milk protein, we're a right pair! 

Wedding addict

Our cake is having a normal Victoria sponge layer, chocolate fudge layer, sticky toffee pudding flavour cake, and I would love a elderflower and lemon layer as I love both flavours but never tried them together, and undecided on the last flavour we are having 

Wedding addict

White chocolate & raspberry?

We are having chocolate sponge with galaxy buttercream, white chocolate & raspberry, salted caramel sponge with salted caramel buttercream, & traditional fruit cake.

Bridezilla

August2018Bride wrote (see post):

Oooh I'm making my own naked cake too! My H2B loves fruit cake and marzipan but I hate it so the bottom tier will be a simnel cake, middle tier is strawberry and thyme and top tier is lemon with limencello buttercream and homemade lemon curd. All gluten and dairy free as I'm ceoliac and H2B has an allergy to milk protein, we're a right pair! 

Ours will be all GF because my sister is coeliac!

Thank you everyone for great ideas!

Bridezilla

Awhelenqt wrote (see post):

It's so good of you to be totally inclusive! The last wedding I went to I was given two little meringue kisses instead of even a small GF cupcake at the very least 😂 I've got myself, my H2B, my H2B niece's egg allergy, two guests with lactose intolarances and vegetarian/vegans to cater for so my menu us inclusive of everyone and with decent replacement where necessary lol 

Bridezilla

Sorry to hijack but is it easy to make them gluten free? My future MIL is making ours and I'm worried she will have a paddy when I ask for the chocolate cake to be gluten free! 

Our layers are fruit cake, chocolate cake, Victoria sponge and wither lemon drizzle or white chocolate and raspberry 

Bridezilla

Awhelenqt wrote (see post):

It's so good of you to be totally inclusive! The last wedding I went to I was given two little meringue kisses instead of even a small GF cupcake at the very least 😂 I've got myself, my H2B, my H2B niece's egg allergy, two guests with lactose intolarances and vegetarian/vegans to cater for so my menu us inclusive of everyone and with decent replacement where necessary lol 

Yeah I don't eat meat, my bridesmaids sometimes does vegan months, my sister is coeliac so we've got a few things to contend with. I want to make sure everyone can eat everything so it'll be like 90% pescatatian and GF 😊

So far I like the sound of white chocolate and Raspberry the best! I also thought I could do apple and blackberry maybe?? An apple cake with either fresh blackberries or a compote in the middle?

Bridezilla

I know you said you’re having a chocolate tier with salted caramel but could you have one chocolate layer (maybe chocolate fudge cake), another salted caramel layer and then vanilla?

This is pretty much exactly what we’re having, but I’m thinking of changing the vanilla to white chocolate and raspberry 🤤

Bridezilla

Mrs2018 wrote (see post):

Sorry to hijack but is it easy to make them gluten free? My future MIL is making ours and I'm worried she will have a paddy when I ask for the chocolate cake to be gluten free! 

Our layers are fruit cake, chocolate cake, Victoria sponge and wither lemon drizzle or white chocolate and raspberry 

Sorry Mrs2018, just seen this. I generally use a base recipe for an 6 or 8 inch tin (can't remember which!) and multiply if I need more: 

150g GF Flour

150g Caster sugar

100g Butter

2 eggs

Then add whatever flavour is required. Obvs if its too liquid-y I add flour and if too solid, I add another egg or some dairy free milk alternative. 

Bridezilla

Mrs2018 wrote (see post):

Sorry Mrs2018, just seen this. I generally use a base recipe for an 6 or 8 inch tin (can't remember which!) and multiply if I need more: 

150g GF Flour

150g Caster sugar

100g Butter

2 eggs

Then add whatever flavour is required. Obvs if its too liquid-y I add flour and if too solid, I add another egg or some dairy free milk alternative. 

I personally separate the eggs and whisk the whites then fold them in and that makes it fluffier!