Receptions

No wine with wedding breakfast

1 to 17 of 17 posts

Bridezilla

Hi everyone

We‘ve recently booked our caterer and are doing afternoon tea for our wedding breakfast. The caterer made a comment that we needn’t bother providing wine for the meal because it doesn’t really go with afternoon tea and she has seen it rarely drunk.

I accepted this and thought to myself this saves us money but H2B is worried we might look cheap. With the afternoon tea of course there’ll be tea, coffee and a soft drink. We’ll be providing sparkling wine for the toast and we’re having a cash bar so we’ve got the option of having that open if people did want something else.

if you were to go to a wedding that didn’t have wine with the meal, would you think the couple were cheap?

Bridezilla

I wouldn't expect wine with an afternoon tea, and i think anyone who'd be judgey about someone else's wedding ('cheap or anything else) doesn't deserve 2 be there!

Bridezilla

I would personally provide some extra fizz with the afternoon tea.  Agree with the venue that wine doesn't really go with the meal. 

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-wedding-reports/our-castle-foody-boozy-wedding/442990.html

New bride

It’s go with the extra fizz idea or maybe a cocktail? I’d never not provide drinks with a meal at a wedding. But I also know my friends would never leave table wine undrunk, so I guess it depends on if your guests are bigger drinkers. If they aren’t then I’d save the money

New bride

I’d be tempted to add in an arrival glass of something like pimms, a cocktail or fizz. So guests have ‘a drink’ to start the celebration off if they want one. Agree that table wine doesn’t really ‘go’ with the afternoon tea thing. Many places offer champagne afternoon teas so maybe the expectation of drinking would be a personal thing. 

Bridezilla

My Mum has afternoon tea and had pimms and prosecco instead. They were just having tea and getting drinks out later but  it was obvious some people were wondering where the drinks (aside from tea) were! I guess people just expect alcohol at weddings. That being said It’s your day and people will enjoy it regardless! 

Bridezilla

A couple of glasses of fizz with afternoon tea goes a treat, I'd go down that route. Having said that, do what you like - no rules about having to have booze during a meal! I rarely end up drinking much of the wine provided at wedding meals, as I'm already too tipsy from the earlier welcome drinks and need the couple of hours to sober up a bit. 

Wedding addict

I’d vote for pimms and lemonade too 

New bride

Fizz or pimms would be fab ! 

Wedding addict

I agree with most of the ladies above. I think there is an expectation that alcohol will be served during the wedding breakfast. Fizz and cocktails sounds like a great plan!

Bridezilla

I’d be perfectly happy with a nice cup of tea, but most afternoon teas do have at least an option for prosecco. Or maybe some Buck’s Fizz?

Bridezilla

Thank you everyone.

We were already thinking Pimms on arrival as the ceremony is at a separate location that only our family are attending because of numbers so the majority of guests will be joining us at the reception so I think a welcome drink is needed whilst they wait for us to arrive.

Good point about prosecco, that will be something to consider. I want our toasting drink to be something nice that we can get on special locations (I want blanquette de limoux and H2B has relatives who live near limoux) but H2B is worried about cost. I suppose we could always get a cheaper prosecco to go with the meal as we’ll be eating before speeches.

Our wedding is April 20 next year so fingers crossed we get a repeat of this gorgeous weather too!

New bride

I would expect a high tea with prosecco lol

Bridezilla

Another vote for jugs of Pimms with the meal. I think having the option to buy alcohol but none at all on the table with food is a little odd if your guests are generally drinkers. I’d do a Bellini or Buck’s Fizz for reception drinks and then the prosecco for the toast feels a bit more special!