Planning

Will thia cape go with my dress?

1 to 13 of 13 posts

Bridezilla

I love the idea of wearing a chiffon cape instead of a veil for the ceromony, but I’m not sure if it’ll suit my dress.

I’ve got a particularly tight budget for accessories after overspending elsewhere so had a look and found this one on eBay.

What do you think? Honest opinions welcome :)

Bridezilla

I love the cape and I love the dress, however I don't think they go together personally... I think the cape would cover both the beautiful back of your dress and he sleeves which would be a shame. 

I think the sort of cape you are looking at would suit a strapless dress. The dress you've chosen is absolutely gorgeous!

Wedding addict

I would have to agree with Rach371, I like them both independently (your dress I lovely btw) but I personally don’t like them together...the back of your dress has such lovely detail it would be a shame to hide it! 

Bridezilla

I've also been watching that cape on eBay but it doesn't match my dress really!

I think it would look fine but agree it would cover all your dress's lovely details.

If you read the Winter on the Waterfront wedding report I believe that lady unstitched a long veil from the comb, added poppers to it and it popped onto the shoulders of her dress - I think done like that with a super sheer tulle so you can still see your dress detail would look fab.

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

New bride

MrsCToBee is right. I think the dress and the cape actually look lovely together. Their designs look similar.

It's just that the dress has special and unique features that would be a waste if you cover them with a cape. It would be perfect if you find a way to wear the cape and still keep the special patterns of the dress visible.

Bridezilla

Its a lovely idea, but I don't think the lace matches. It also looks like a brighter (bluer) white.

New bride

I think capes go well with mermaid sleeveless dresses

Bridezilla

I love each independently but the designwork on your dress is completely different to the work on the cape, and unfortunately, I don't think they coordinate at all.  Your dress has a very vertical, elongated, almost "modern" pattern, the pattern on the cape is round and horizontal.  The fabric of the cape is also not very sheer looking so it will likely entirely cover the absolutely gorgeous back bodice of your dress. 

I'd keep looking, the right cape is out there. Or have one made, you'd be surprised how affordable getting something like this made could be.  There's not much to it.

Bridezilla

i have to agree with the others, i think for it to match it would have to be exactly the same colour and lace pattern. plus it looks heavy and will take away the details of the dress. 

Why not look at some sheer drape veils? You could get one sheer enough to still be able to see the detail of your dress (which is beautiful by the way) whilst still having the 'cape' feel. Something along these lines...

Image result for drape veil

Bridezilla

Thanks everyone, you’ve pretty much confirmed what I thought; I was worried the lace didn’t quite go and that the cape wasn’t sheer enough so would cover the detailing of my dress. 

I think that I’ll end up just having a normal veil, as I’m not sure that I’ll find anything :(

Bridezilla

I think something like this would look good with your dress :) I love the look of capes x

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/607772727/wedding-bridal-cape-tulle-cathedral-full?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=sheer bridal cape&ref=sr_gallery-1-10&more_colors=1

New bride

I am also looking at capes or a long veil. Most of my friends say it hide the detail in the dress but I am quite conscious of my arms.I think they give the dress and whole look a good feel. I have a sleeveless dress and have not had sleeves made to fit the dress. I cannot wear a veil in my hair as I have lost some of my hair during illness so my hair is quite fragile at the moment.

I thought that a long cape or veil would look nice and Wild Dreams Bridal on Etsy seem to make quite a few different ones. The lady is very helpful while I have been asking lots of questions and deciding which one is best for me. 

What did you decide on in the end? 

Bridezilla

DebDtobe wrote (see post):

What did you decide on in the end? 

I found this one, also on eBay, which I think is better suited to the pattern on my dress. It might cover some of the lace detailing on the back, but you‘ll still be able to see the lace underneath and on the sides so I think it’ll still look nice. 

I haven‘t ordered it yet, but I’m pretty certain that I’m going to. If I don’t like it with the dress when I try them on together, I think I’m just going to go for a plain elbow length veil and forgetting the cape idea. 

Have you got a picture of your dress? Maybe we can help!