Planning

Wedding car cost

1 to 16 of 16 posts

Bridezilla

Hello,

We weren't planning on hiring wedding cars but it's become clear we may have to organise some form of transport for me & my dad, and my mum & bridesmaids, as our venue has no parking.

Can I ask what transport people are having & how much you are paying please? Trying to get a handle on likely costs.

Thanks!

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Wedding addict

We’re not having cars as I’ll be getting ready at the venue and will obviously be there way before any guests arrive.

But I was just curious about where your guests will park and how they will be getting from the parking to the venue? Could you do the same? Or just hire a car to take you from the parking to the venue as that might work out cheaper (as opposed to it picking you up from home and driving you to the venue). 

Bridezilla

Hi!

My venue is a pub/restaurant in the town centre with several car parks within 5 minutes walk, so guests can park there if need be. Half the guests live locally so will make their own way there, OH's side will all be staying at nearby hotels which have parking and are also within 5 minutes walk or a short taxi ride.

It's only about 2 miles from my house to the venue.

It doesn't have rooms so we can't get ready there.

I could get my dad to drive me but then he'll have to disappear for 10 minutes to go and park the car which will be a bit weird! My neighbour has a minibus taxi which I may book to take my mum, bridesmaids and son. Just looking at car costs and they seem to vary quite alot!

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Wedding addict

1940 Rolls Royce, £450. 

We’re in Lincolnshire x

Bridezilla

Do you have a local minicab firm with exec cars? I wouldn't mention it was a wedding if you don't want ribbons etc, just ask if they have a nice car exec for the journey.

Bridezilla

Ashley72 wrote (see post):

Do you have a local minicab firm with exec cars? I wouldn't mention it was a wedding if you don't want ribbons etc, just ask if they have a nice car exec for the journey.

We are looking into this, but I think they will realise it's a wedding anyway - I can't imagine many people hire a nice car for a 5 minute drive on a Sunday lunchtime! I may ring for a quote but even the local executive car places seem to charge about £200 for weddings!

My FIL has a really nice car and mentioned maybe driving my Dad and I, but I thought it would be a bit weird and again, we'd then have to wait for him to go and park it and he's disabled so would be very slow.

Bridezilla

If you have Uber where you are (and it's reliable), I'd be tempted to order an Exec or Luxe car from there for a night out and get chatting to the driver and ask them if they'd do a private job. If the usual journey costs £15 for example, then offer them double privately, I bet most would jump at the chance for such a short job!

Bridezilla

Ashley72 wrote (see post):

If you have Uber where you are (and it's reliable), I'd be tempted to order an Exec or Luxe car from there for a night out and get chatting to the driver and ask them if they'd do a private job. If the usual journey costs £15 for example, then offer them double privately, I bet most would jump at the chance for such a short job!

We don't have Uber, or black cabs where we are. There are wedding car hire companies who hire out retired black cabs but charge a fortune. I was going try to find a black cab driver who lives locally as I know there are a few, but they are proving impossible to track down :)

Bridezilla

We're just doing black cabs from our hotel to the ceremony venue. I don't see the point in paying so much money (we were quoted upwards of £250) for a ten minute drive that nobody will see.

We're hiring vintage routemaster buses to transport our guests from our ceremony venue to the reception and I would definitely rather be on that with my guests than in a separate car.

If you don't have Uber or Black Cabs - do you have Addison Lee or another executive car service? They'll have nice cars and will be miles cheaper than your average wedding car. I know Addison Lee do executive Mercedes for around £50. There might be other local services that offer something similar.

Bridezilla

No Addison Lee here either - if I was in London my choices would be endless - go 30 miles out and none of it is available :(

There are executive car services available locally but as soon as you mention wedding they insist you need two hours and want to charge £200! It is literally a 5/10 minute drive, and as the whole wedding is in one venue they won't be required to hang around or anything. I might ring a few more and explain I just want a bare bones service.

Originally my stepbrother was going to drive us, but he has recently changed jobs and traded his nice BMW for a white van!

Bridezilla

Go on the local forum for Tunbridge Wells.  I did that for us, and what you may find is that there are loads of cabbies who live not that far from your venue.  They don't always work in central London, and are happy to do local jobs when they come up.  Def worth trying at least.  That is what happened with us, and we were offered £20 a trip.  I said it was too low, and we agreed £25

Bridezilla

Thanks Britbird, i'm in a few local mum groups so will try asking in those first!

New bride

When my sister had her wedding last year we hired the LDNChauffeur service which is based in London. It's worth its price because the limo was really fancy (a Rolls Royce Phantom), the driver was a real proffesional and as far as I can remember the price was quite reasonable.

Wedding addict

I’m staying in a hotel literally 2 mins down the road from my venue the night before with 10 other guests and trying to arrange cars for the ladies to get to the venue after having hair and makeup done is provi pretty tricky most taxi firms are saying it’s too short a distance and the chaufer driven hire cars have a £40 per car minimum and would need 3 or 4

Bridezilla

I have put off booking cars as I just don't like anything enough for the price of it, I have looked at VW campers and vintage rolls Royce, both around £400. I really wanted a vintage sports car, which were a bit more expensive but I would have booked as at least I was excited by them, until my dad pointed out I will not get my dress in very easily....