Planning

Has anyone asked for a donation to a charity for your wedding gift?

1 to 12 of 12 posts

New bride

I would like to ask my guests to make a donation to a children's charity if they perhaps wouldn't like to buy a gift for us. Has anyone done this before or thinking of doing if and if so, were/are your guests happy to do this?!

Bridezilla

We haven't, but friends of ours did. They put a JustGiving link on the invite, and had an engraved wooden box on the day for cash donations (which I think someone had given them as an engagement gift with wine in it). Most people thought it was a lovely idea, although some of their older relatives still insisted on giving a more "traditional" gift.

Bridezilla

I don't like the idea personally.  Hard to expain but something about it just rubs me the wrong way.  I would much prefer to give cash to the couple, then if they want they can donate it.  Charity is a very personal thing and I wouldn't like to be told who to donate to.  

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-wedding-reports/our-castle-foody-boozy-wedding/442990.html

Bridezilla

I have no problem at all with it. I think of it as no different to any other gift request. If the charity means something to the bride and groom, I'd very happily contribute.

Bridezilla

I had always wanted to do this but my mum said that she thought a lot of people wouldn't like it and when I have spoken to her friends and my grandparents they have all been quite against it as they've said they'd want to give something to us, rather than to charity. 

I think it's a generation thing and older generations are less keen on the idea but at the end of the day it's up to you. I'm thinking of asking for donations but also making a very small gift list that I will only tell people about if they specifically ask and really want to buy us something. 

Bridezilla

Hmm I also wouldn't appreciate being told which charity to donate to.

Bridezilla

Like hails it would depend on the charity. One instantly springs to mind that I would refuse to contribute to regardless of wedding or not (friend asked for contributions to them for her birthday and I refused then as well). Most would be fine but personally I prefer to give money to smaller local charities or those that get forgotten about (and who can't afford prime time tv adverts). Maybe asking people to give to a charity of their choice would work well?

Edit: just saw you asked children's charity, so you could say a children's charity of your choice 

My Planning Thread - 'Tis The Season to be Married

SW - 10st 12lb

CW - 10st 4lb

GW - 8st 5lb       

New bride

TeamJamiesonLowe wrote (see post):

I don't like the idea personally.  Hard to expain but something about it just rubs me the wrong way.  I would much prefer to give cash to the couple, then if they want they can donate it.  Charity is a very personal thing and I wouldn't like to be told who to donate to.  

I see what you’re saying but my idea would be to have a gift list but if people would prefer they could donate to a charity. I work with children who have mental health issues so it’s very close to my heart and the people attending my wedding all know this therefore, I think they would like to donate to something they know I truly believe in and would trust my guidance on it. if people don’t wish to donate then they could still choose the gift option

Bridezilla

we did this as part of our gift list. We had a traditional one but asked for donations to 2 charities that meant something to us (one was a favourite of my recently deceased grandmother and the other was a children’s charity my MIL worked for) 

some friends of ours have done the same thing. They have a close friend who has terminal cancer and is 24. The charity is small and works with young terminal patients to help them make the most of their time and to prepare for the end. I don’t know the chap but I see it as a good cause so we will donate. 

Bridezilla

We’ve got charity pins for favours... maybe an idea? Could also have something for cash donations there if it’s close to your heart? x

New bride

Hey, I work for a charity and we have a scheme for people who ask their guests to donate to us instead of buying wedding presents. 

You should contact the charity as they may be able to provide inserts for your invites which gives more information about the charity, and we find it helps the guests understand why they have chosen that particular charity instead of gifts. They will also make sure they keep track of all donations and should give you a runnng total, if your guests donate directly to the charity and not via you.

Some wedding gift list websites also include the option to donate to charity, as well as being able to buy traditional gifts, but it's worth looking into how much they deduct from each donation as part of their fee. 

Bridezilla

We're doing this.

Having decided no gifts/no gift list as we're in our 30's and have 2 houses full of stuff already, a lot of people are already asking what we want as wedding presents.

We're not comfortable asking for cash with no specific purpose, or for contributions to the wedding or honeymoon (they're our choice, we've budgetted what we afford), so charity was the next obvious option but like some other posters we thought it could seem a bit weird or inappropriate.

So, because we intend to get a new dog at some point, we're going to set up a charity account for a rescue centre.  That way a charity we support will benefit, but guests are also contributing to something for us