Hair and Make up

1 to 3 of 3 posts

New bride

Hi all,

So we get married on 29th December this year and so far I feel a bit behind in the planning. We are trying to get a few things ticked off over the next months just to ease the pressure, mainly being placed on us by others.

Anyway one of the things I’m worried about is hair and make up. When is a reasonable time to book this? I do not want to leave it until too late, 1 as I don’t want everyone to be booked up or 2 to find people are not working due to the Christmas period, which we hve found in a couple of suppliers. My only issue with booking it early is what happens if when I have my trial later in the year, I’m not happy with the final result? How do you make a decision purely based on pictures?

Lastly, what sort of prices should I be looking for? I have myself, 4 bridesmaids and my mum. When i was a bridesmaid last year my friend paid £450 for the same number, however none of us were happy with the end result. 

thanks in advance 

New bride

£450 seems like a lot - is that hair and makeup combined?

people shouldn’t be making you panic about hair and makeup - usually 6 months before is fine. However, you are getting married during a time when some stylists might be taking a break so for peace of mind you could start looking around March/April. 

have you considered going with your regular hairdresser? That way - between now and when you book you can ask them to try different styles when you get your hair done so you can get a feel of what they do. When you do a trial, if you’re not happy with it - tell them. They’ll want to get it right as much as you so most stylists should be able to do what you want.

I’m fortuante that my hairdresser is a good friend so he’s doing my hair and my bridesmaids (although yet to agree a price!) and I’ll be doing my own makeup. (I’m a beauty blogger!).

for makeup, you could book yourself  bridal appointment with MAC who will draw you a face chart that can be given to your makeup artist to recreate - you can do this as many times as you want until you’re happy. It’s £40-60 to book BUT you get that money back to spend on products. 

You can book a trial early as you want, or hire services in advance (not for a wedding booking) to trial them out. X

New bride

Hi there,

I've just come across your post,  I think you have a few months to do abit of research on your make up artist and hair stylist, recommendations always helps too but sometimes that seems to be at an expensive costs sometimes.

I am a make up artist based in London and my prices are very reasonable, I know how expensive weddings are!

<ul> <li>Bride Trial £15</li> <li>Bride on the day £30</li> <li>Bridesmaids £20</li> <li>Mother of the Bride £20</li> </ul>

Good luck