Planning

Civil Ceremony Singalong Thoughts?

1 to 11 of 11 posts

New bride

Hi Ladies, 

Honest thoughts on Civil Ceremony sing-a-longs? I quite like the idea and have pitched it to my partner. He is convinced no one will sing and thinks it will just be awkward. We would have background music, a singer to lead and the words printed in our order of service.

Honest thoughts, if you were at a wedding and had to do this would it make you cringe/die of embarrassment or would you happily get involved? I understand not everyone will sing but even if a few do it might be nice. Thoughts?

The song I was thinking is Stand by Me. Although might have to change this after it was delivered so beautifully at the Royal Wedding! My lot will probably butcher it haha. 

xx

New bride

If I was a guest at a wedding I would love it! 

I would worry that no one would join in if it was my own wedding. But if everyone does join in it would be really fun. Are any of your friends or family confident singers? You could rope some people to sing along and then hopefully people next to them would join in.

Bridezilla

I would find this really awkward and cringey I'm afraid, and my singing is awful so it being quiet would be a blessing! If you do go for it I'm sure people will get on with it, but definitely not my cup of tea.

Bridezilla

Agree with Gill. There was a similar thread the other day and it seems to be a fairly Marmite idea.

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Bridezilla

I would join in because it’s my friend’s Wedding but would personally think it’s really cringe 

New bride

I'm planning to do it at my wedding and think it will be really fun! I think stand by me is a good choice. If I was a guest I'd really enjoy it and get involved. I think it depends on your guests so only you would be able to know. But people dont think twice about having hymns at church weddings and I don't see why it's any different :) xx

Bridezilla

There is another thread on the exact same topic on here "trending" this week. 

I'm on the this-is-absolutely-cringeworthy bandwagon. I would not want to hear most of my friends and family sing, and furthermore, they wouldn't. It would be this awkward mumbling, pretty much like in church.  To make it worse, unless you chose hymns or some other extremely well known song(s), due to the relatively large spread in ages and tastes in music in guests, even if you had someone trying to lead, the group still likely wouldn't be much for singing as they wouldn't be familiar with the tune.  Having someone leading, providing sheet music and lyrics, and having a piano (or other instrument) to accompany is still no guaranty that anyone will sing...or be able to carry a tune if they do.

Wedding addict

This is a weird one because I can’t quite work out why it’s different to hymns in a church, but somehow it is.

I think partially it’s the choice of song! One of my favourite all time songs but I wouldn’t have it as a singalong. Singalongs should be fun and upbeat and uplifting. It is a given it will sound awful and not beautiful in any way, so it should be a fun uplifting and coming together jubilantly thing! 

Whether or not you will get anyone else to join in is anyone’s guess. I know for me it would be me and my dad belting it out whilst everyone else whispered into the floor. It would be horrific. But it rather depends on your group of people. 

Potential for it to go wrong I would say is quite high! 

Jxx

Bridezilla

Not my cup of tea either, Sorry.

Hymns in church is bad enough with half the guests mumbling, miming or out of tune, and they turn up 2 a church wedding expecting 2 have 2 sing.  We wouldn't risk it even with a load of musicians n good singers in are friends n family, I just think to many people will find it uncomfortable or cringe n it would be awful if it doesn't go well

Bridezilla

I wouldn't do this and I know my sister who is an amazing singer wouldn't either (she would likely have a panic attack if i did this!). It's really putting your guests on the spot. They won't be expecting to have to sing at a civil ceremony. 

Wedding addict

Honest opinion is I’d absolutely hate this, I wouldn’t sing, and I’d be cringing while everyone else was. I’m sure there are people who would love the idea, but you’d need to be aware that you run the risk of making some of your guests feel really uncomfortable.