Planning

Catering for fussy eaters

1 to 20 of 21 posts

Bridezilla

Do you cater for fussy eaters at your wedding? To what extent? Do you treat it like someone with an allergy/intolerance and ask for a plain/different meal to the rest or do you just expect them to make do with *something* out of the meal you're offering?

My family - my Mum, grandparents, one aunt and uncle and my future MIL are all notoriously fussy eaters. We're talking not even herbs and spices unless it's a bit of rosemary on a roast dinner. They don't eat rice, pasta, noodles, anything remotely exotic - literally fairly bland, British food and nothing but.

I get married in Italy and the food is one of the things I'm most excited about! We'll have a huge aperitivo (so lots of antipasti and canapes in a buffet for 2-3 hours) followed by a 3 course sit down which will be a starter, a small pasta dish and then a meat/veg type dish, followed by a dessert buffet/wedding cake). We don't know exactly what yet but nothing way out there, just good hearty fresh Italian food! Well seasoned but no spices etc. There will be plenty of food BUT I'm already anxious over the fact that these particular relatives will moan that it's all too rich / smelly / they don't like it and will be mooching about stuffing bread rolls in to their clutch bags because it's all "foreign muck". I asked my Nan if she ate pasta and she said no - I asked her which type she'd tried ie spag bol or something else - she tells me she's never tried pasta but she knows she won't like it! Honestly it's worse than a child, she's not an old fuddy duddy type of Nan either but there was no reasoning with her that she just might like it if she tasted it! There have already been comments from some of them about "well I don't know what I'll be eating all week, we can go to a supermarket and make sandwiches I suppose" and it's driving me mad already! These are all people who have managed to holiday abroad their entire lives and it's Italy, not the middle of the Congo!

So I'm torn between telling them to get over it and make do with what they can find to eat amongst the tonnes of food there'll be on the day OR making up some sort of condition that means they all need a very plain menu or option C, flying in some Birds Eye fish and chips and not have to listen to them moaning!

How is everyone else dealing with this kind of guest? Or am I the only one with fussy guestzillas?! If I was getting married in England I'm sure they'd also find something to complain about with fancy hotel type food too! God forbid something has a bit of sauce or flavour!

Bridezilla

Our chef has kindly agreed to accommodate a couple of fussy eaters we have. They're literally getting pasta with butter and cheese lol. I refuse to provide anything further. If they don't like that then they can get over themselves or go nuts on the sweetie table we're providing. We have one guest who is (almost literally) allergic to everything (eggs, soya, shellfish, nuts, gluten) and he has been less of a pain to accommodate than the fussy eaters!

Bridezilla

weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

Our chef has kindly agreed to accommodate a couple of fussy eaters we have. They're literally getting pasta with butter and cheese lol. I refuse to provide anything further. If they don't like that then they can get over themselves or go nuts on the sweetie table we're providing. We have one guest who is (almost literally) allergic to everything (eggs, soya, shellfish, nuts, gluten) and he has been less of a pain to accommodate than the fussy eaters!

Yes my family are more difficult to dine with than anyone I know with an actual allergy! I'd have been happy to go down the plain pasta route but nope..... too foreign! Pasta! Jeez!

Wedding addict

Our venue is accommodating guests with allergies and intolerances. I have one guest who is a very fussy eater but I've catered for him by getting him an adult sized portion of the kids meal - chicken nuggets and chips, not exciting but at least something I know he'll be able to eat, and he's happy with that. Are you having children at your wedding? If so perhaps you could include some simple dishes which both the kids and the fussy people would eat?

Or do they eat cheese? Maybe could have like a cheese board they can fill up on too?

Bridezilla

cloudatlas wrote (see post):

Our venue is accommodating guests with allergies and intolerances. I have one guest who is a very fussy eater but I've catered for him by getting him an adult sized portion of the kids meal - chicken nuggets and chips, not exciting but at least something I know he'll be able to eat, and he's happy with that. Are you having children at your wedding? If so perhaps you could include some simple dishes which both the kids and the fussy people would eat?

Or do they eat cheese? Maybe could have like a cheese board they can fill up on too?

We are having quite a lot of children - they'll probably get a pasta dish as their main or maybe pizza - which again none of them will eat. The chicken nuggets and chips thing isn't a bad idea!! There'll be a lot of bread and cheese and meats as part of our buffet so I'm sure they won't starve but they're also in the "mild cheddar only" camp when it comes to cheese. Literally the most unadventurous eaters I've ever come across and they're all close family so I feel like I should at least try to accommodate them even though I think flat out refusing to try things is just frustrating! It makes me feel selfish for getting married abroad when I know I'd probably have the same exact issue (but maybe just for one day) if I got married here.

Bridezilla

I'm catering for people with genuine allergies/intolerances or vegetarians/pescetarians/vegans but i'm not catering for fussy eaters.

I can be fairly fussy myself but i wouldn't dream of imposing that on someone who was catering for me. at a risk of incurring the wrath of everyone here, if my fussy eaters dont like it they can lump it...

Bridezilla

I'm not catering for fussy eaters, only genuine allergies. I absolutely can't abide really fussy eaters (sorry!).

It's not a restaurant. You don't get to choose your favourite meal. If they are really that bad I would tell them to bring a packed lunch- ha! And if they bring it up again just say oh well, there is loads of choice but if you're not prepared to try it you can fill up on bread. 

Bridezilla

And I also meant to say- don't feel selfish! You would still have this issue if it was in the UK. It'll be a lovely wedding and if it helps I'm personally quite jealous of your food! 

Bridezilla

Thanks ladies - reassuring to read that I’m not just being harsh and moody about them! Although one more whinge and they’re all getting sent to a Harvester to watch us get married on Skype!!

Bridezilla

OH and most of his family are similar to your relatives - exceptionally plain eaters. MIL can't eat chicken korma or Cornish pasties as she finds them too spicy 😂 His uncle and aunty won't eat any meat other than chicken or turkey....except bacon, sausages and burgers.

None of them eat fish or seafood, anything 'spicy', basically just meat, potatoes and veg really.

For this reason finding a venue who gave more than one choice per course was essential for us. Our venue actually gives 4 choices per course, so there will be a bland option for each course just for them:

Pate & toast

Chicken or turkey roast dinner

I couldn't bear for everyone to have to eat dull food, as my family love it and my brother is actually head chef of a fairly prestigious restaurant!

Our evening food is a BBQ so they should be OK with that.

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Bridezilla

H2B is very fussy (nothing red, nothing spicy, 99% of sauces are a no go, no pasta, I could go on and on) and my dad hates 'fancy' food (he loves foreign food, no issue with a bit of spice etc but if its got a 'fancy' name or has 'fancy' techniques he will probably moan, he didnt enjoy my sister wedding meal as he said it was too fancy haha), becaue of this we chose sausage & mash as our main (it helps we are having a winter wedding so comfort food works for us).

But still, h2b may be an horrific eater but he never moans about it. At other weddings he simply ate around the bits he didnt like and filled up on rolls.

I am a pretty good eater but I do have my momets (hate seafood, hate anything 'smoked', the current trend of antipasti or whatever its called is my nightmare as I dont like most the meats, mushrooms are a no go, lamb is horrific) but again, I simply eat what I can and keep my mouth shut.

I do think having a 'bland' option is a good idea if you can give a choice, I'd rather my guest be full than only provide one option that may cause divison in guests, or let them have a large portion of the kids choice.

Bridezilla

Haha you just described my family! My mum is still in shock that I eat curry! I can only have one set meal unless people have allergies. My family won't eat any of the starters I can choose from, the mains are roasts which they eat but because they have 'fancy' mash and gravy my family will only be eating the meat and veg 😂 pudding is chocolate cake and they have still found fault because it's served with a white chocolate sauce!! So that's being served in a jug on the side

Wedding addict

I’m not catering for fussy eaters. If they are Hungry enough they’ll eat what’s on offer.

Bridezilla

I only catered for allergies and vegetarian, not personal taste. We got a response to dietary requirements that they didn't like beetroot!  My family are very plain eaters, so I asked for sauces to be on the side but if they didn't eat it then they went hungry. Just try and let their complaints wash over you, it's their issue not yours. They will not starve, but you could really stress yourself out to please them and they will still prob complain anyway!

Bridezilla

We are not adapting the menu for fussy eaters.  We have got antipasti, churrasco and mixed desserts, so figured they will find something to eat!

Wedding addict

We’re not catering to fussy eaters, one of the fussy eaters coming to our wedding complains to staff about the food in literally every restaurant I’ve ever been in with her, I doubt we could serve her anything she’d be happy with.

Bridezilla

Yay, I feel like I'm being less of a cow now! It's difficult as whilst I of course don't want anyone to go hungry, I also slightly resent paying £100 a head for them to refuse to even taste anything but a few bread rolls and whinge about it!

New bride

Ashley - my MIL is the fussiest eater going, also the rest of my HTB's family only eat the most basic "british" food.

I've been driving myself mad wondering how to accommodate but my friend has given me a good talking to and said - its YOUR wedding, have what YOU want.

Selfish, ok maybe a bit but if you are entitled to be selfish on one day in your life its this one!!

One member of his family even asked whether we could have fish and chips delivered as that's all he eats?!  erm - no!

x

Bridezilla

Wow! The cheek of some people. Weddings really do bring out the strangest in folk. If anyone else complains or is negative about it I’ll be telling them to not bother coming if all they care about is food, or bring a picnic!

Bridezilla

Natutz14 h2b grandad asked if we could get him fish and chips 😂 for weeks before he had lectured at the wedding was about us no one else aswell! 

Ashley does your venue serve bar food? I've told my fussy eaters that chips are available if they don't like the other food... I don't think they will eat much or the evening buffet so if they want to get some chips that's up to them