Planning

Best hen do you’ve been on 🙂

1 to 13 of 13 posts

New bride

Hi everyone ,

This question is not actually about my hen do (got a while til mine) but my best friends 

organising it for September and wanted some inspiration to get me started! 

We live near Brighton so had always imagined we would have the hen do there but she has just been on a hen do for one of her other close friends there and I don’t Want her to feel she hasn’t got anything special... although plenty to do in Brighton ! 

So  away, what was the best hen do youve been on and what do you think made it special? 

Thanks 😀

Bridezilla

My hen do is next weekend in Brighton! I have no clue what we're doing but I know my bridesmaids have been working so hard on it all So I'm guessing we'll be doing some fun things! I'll report back next week :) x

My planning thread: 

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/our-sussex-barn-wedding---july-2018wed/440703.html

New bride

I recently went on a gorgeous hen do in Bath. The scenery was stunning and the bars and restaurants have a great atmosphere! There were lots of lovely little touches too like opportunities to go boating with champagne and strawberries and a cocktail making class. Basically anything with alcohol is generally a winner 😬

Bridezilla

I've been on loads in Brighton, some tacky Dreamboys type ones and some classier affairs! Brighton is always fun!

I tend to like spa days/weekends.

When I arranged BFF no 1's in our hometown we did spa morning with just bridal party and mums, followed by afternoon tea so grans etc could get involved, followed by raucous night out - we got in at 6am 😂

BFF no 2's will be spa weekend in Cambridge with pyjama party in hotel room on Friday night, spa all day Sat, night out Sat night then a fry up Sunday morning followed by punting on the river Cam!

Mine is going to be a weekend away abroad with just my 2 best friends, then a hen do at home which will be spa morning, afternoon tea or a meal followed by a night out, possibly in London or Maidstone.

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Bridezilla

best hen I've went on was also in Brighton! A small group (8 of us - BMs, sisters, mums) spent the day in the spa at the Grand, then we met the rest of the group for a meal on Preston Street then we pub crawled back towards the Pavilion.  We all had silly theme hairbands and BtB had a sash and tacky veil, but that was it - no pressure, no wasting money on sweat-shop made unflattering clothes, just a really good night out with a bunch of girls. 

Worst hen I went on involved us all having to give up time n money to travel miles away from where any1 lived and stay 2 nights, buy n wear expensive synthetic t-shirts, cringingly embarassing rude games, willy accessories n a really bad male stripper....!

Wedding addict

For my hen do we’ll be going to a spa in the morning followed by afternoon tea. Going out getting drunk wearing silly clothing and a tacky veil was not my thing.

Wedding addict

No idea what mine is but its this weekend! All I know its two days activities and a night out, staying one night in a hotel. Explicitly asked for no tack although I wouldn't mind a sash and definitely a veil as I'm not wearing one on my wedding day! lol 

Best hen do I went to was dressing up as a copper (brides husband is a policeman) and a night out on the town. The grooms stag was teacher themed as the bride is a teacher. Really simple dinner followed by getting drunk but with the best people. 

Worst hen do I went on (and I was 17! lol) was a limo ride to a local club, managing to get in underage and this god awful stripper turning up getting a little too familiar with us....going above and beyond what is necessary for a stripper...he even had really bad stubble, chest stubble, face stubble.....pube stubble UGH!  

New bride

FutureMrsTracey wrote (see post):

My hen do is next weekend in Brighton! I have no clue what we're doing but I know my bridesmaids have been working so hard on it all So I'm guessing we'll be doing some fun things! I'll report back next week :) x

Ooh have fun! How exciting ! Please do report back. Sure you’ll have an amazing time 

New bride

Lin51 wrote (see post):

I recently went on a gorgeous hen do in Bath. The scenery was stunning and the bars and restaurants have a great atmosphere! There were lots of lovely little touches too like opportunities to go boating with champagne and strawberries and a cocktail making class. Basically anything with alcohol is generally a winner 😬

Ooh Bath is a lovely city! Could be an option. I agree, alcohol is defintely key 😉

Bridezilla

Best was a weekend in Bordeaux for my best mate's hen - gorgeous airbnb, private chef one night, silly night club another night, a city tour and lots of wine tasting. Not cheap but totally worth it.

My own was in Brighton! I stipulated no tack so we all stayed in a big airbnb, had a restaurant to ourselves one night (so a private dining experience - and they had a nice garden which was a bonus as it was boiling!), and went to the food festival for the day amongst other things. Again, a decent airbnb for us all to stay in. It was really nice - and I reckon that the best bit was that some people joined for some of it, but not all of it, which meant those who either couldn't afford or couldn't make time for the whole thing could dip in and out. 

Worst - well, not to say worst, but enjoyed the least/felt least comfortable with the typical strippers/bad set menu and cheap booze affairs (yup, Brighton again!!)

New bride

Best had a good balance of activities like white water rafting and afternoon tea on a steam train with prosecco. But Also a bit of down time where people could just drink tea and chat.  Also no one was pressured to take part could watch instead. Up front costs is also good and just in general not costing too much. People probably have a few hens plus weddings to attend so don't make it too expensive. I personally hate eating out in big groups so if you do maybe try to get a set menu / pre-order to speed things up a bit. Include some kind of icebreaker game on first day to get people mixing.  And for the love of God no activities on the last day of you're boozing the night before people will just want to chill. Hot tubs always good too ! 

New bride

Ooh amazing you guys have been so helpful! Feeling a lot less daunted now ! 

Thi we may go for bath or Bristol as we can do a nice mix of activities and relaxing 🙂