Honeymoons

Zika virus!

21 to 28 of 28 posts

Bridezilla

Miss-Mrs wrote (see post):

Hey,

Do not go to a Zika country! We went to Bali in December and they had an outbreak 2 months before hand. So some facts for you:

Zika can stay in the woman for upto 8 weeks

Zika can stay in men for upto 6 months!

Should you fall pregnant, before, during or after visiting a Zika infected area your unborn baby is at high risk!

GP's will NOT do tests unless in absolutely serious cases.
If you come home and suspect you have a cold they will not test you. i called GP, Hospitals, health clinic, and tropical disease unit and no one would do it.

We had to wait 6 months to be sure and out in the clear. 

x

This post is where I think over-egging occurs. Your unborn baby is not at high risk, it’s at 1% risk. 

I completely accept and respect that any risk is too great for some people. I’m just trying to give a bit of statistical perspective.

Equally, like with many risks in pregnancy, healthcare professionals have to advise against behaviour which puts an unborn child at risk, however low that risk may be. 

We went to a moderate risk Zika area. The risk of me being involved in a road traffic accident was significantly higher than that of contracting Zika. For me, that is a calculated risk.

Wedding addict

1% doesn’t sound like a high risk but if that equates to 1 in every hundred babies I dont know why you would risk it. 

I certainly wouldn’t for the sake of a holiday. 

Bridezilla

When I wrote this post nine months ago Zika virus was more prevalent in the news and the risk was a big focus for me.

I'm aware that the reality of contracting Zika is low, however I would not be able to forgive myself if me or my partner passed on an avoidable virus to our unborn child. I don't believe anything in this zombie thread is unreasonable to be concerned about.

I'm pretty damn close to my wedding now and honeymoon is booked and paid for somewhere Zika free. Our destination was decided for a lot of different reasons but one of them was the absence of Zika 

Wedding addict

Spacepuffin wrote (see post):
Miss-Mrs wrote (see post):

Hey,

Do not go to a Zika country! We went to Bali in December and they had an outbreak 2 months before hand. So some facts for you:

Zika can stay in the woman for upto 8 weeks

Zika can stay in men for upto 6 months!

Should you fall pregnant, before, during or after visiting a Zika infected area your unborn baby is at high risk!

GP's will NOT do tests unless in absolutely serious cases.
If you come home and suspect you have a cold they will not test you. i called GP, Hospitals, health clinic, and tropical disease unit and no one would do it.

We had to wait 6 months to be sure and out in the clear. 

x

This post is where I think over-egging occurs. Your unborn baby is not at high risk, it’s at 1% risk. 

I completely accept and respect that any risk is too great for some people. I’m just trying to give a bit of statistical perspective.

Equally, like with many risks in pregnancy, healthcare professionals have to advise against behaviour which puts an unborn child at risk, however low that risk may be. 

We went to a moderate risk Zika area. The risk of me being involved in a road traffic accident was significantly higher than that of contracting Zika. For me, that is a calculated risk.

If you want to take the risk of having a lovely holiday over a disabled baby then you go right ahead. 

As we have pointed out this is a zombie thread started last year when Zika was very much in the news and pregnant woman or people TTC were warned not to go. 

I don’t know if the advice has changed and to me it seems pointless arguing over it on a year old thread. 

Wedding addict

Rach371 wrote (see post):

When I wrote this post nine months ago Zika virus was more prevalent in the news and the risk was a big focus for me.

I'm aware that the reality of contracting Zika is low, however I would not be able to forgive myself if me or my partner passed on an avoidable virus to our unborn child. I don't believe anything in this zombie thread is unreasonable to be concerned about.

I'm pretty damn close to my wedding now and honeymoon is booked and paid for somewhere Zika free. Our destination was decided for a lot of different reasons but one of them was the absence of Zika 

how exciting your wedding is so close! Where are you going on your honeymoon? Xx

Bridezilla

Hi Tula! It's three weeks away! We're going to Spain and Italy, my Italian grandma is now too ill to travel for the wedding so we're taking time to see her which sort of made our decision for us. It is nerve wrackingly close now! 

Wedding addict

Rach371 wrote (see post):

Hi Tula! It's three weeks away! We're going to Spain and Italy, my Italian grandma is now too ill to travel for the wedding so we're taking time to see her which sort of made our decision for us. It is nerve wrackingly close now! 

That sounds amazing! I would have liked to go to Italy but it was to cold in March when we got married. How lovely including a visit to Grandma. Sounds perfect. 

3 weeks will fly by! Enjoy every second xxx

Bridezilla

Thank you, we're flying to Naples and then to spain for a week of lying around doing nothing

I can't wait to be married now and just get on with it!