Honeymoons

Luxury beach holiday- Morocco???

1 to 11 of 11 posts

Wedding addict

Hi gang, me and my other half are really struggling in finding somewhere to go on honeymoon due to a combination of factors- zika, time of year (we are getting married in December) and finances. Zika is having the biggest impact of all!

Has anyone had a luxury beach holiday in Morocco? If so I would love to know where? 

Were you able to leave the hotel to visit local restaurants? 

Thanks gang! 

Bridezilla

I haven't been to Morocco but my best friend has and l think she said the hotel was nice but there was nothing to see/do outside of it, and it was a long way from the airport/Marrakech.

What about Madeira, Cape Verde, The Azores, Florida or California, Egypt or Israel? Dubai? 

I've been to Tunisia but in all honesty hated it, and I don't think tour operators go there now?

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Bridezilla

Have a Google of Essaouira. I've not been (though have been to other parts of Morocco and loved it!) but a friend raved about it. Resort town with a marina and historic medina so plenty to see outside of whichever resort or hotel you picked. Moroccan hospitality is fantastic. Apparently it can be windy on that coast though at that time of year. Maybe also check out Oman? 

Wedding addict

If you wanted a luxury beach holiday - I'd recommend Greece, but you might want to wait until the spring to go! If you get away from the clubby areas there are some beautiful resorts you can stay in. The islands of Santorini and Mykonos are absolutely beautiful or I've seen a lot of people staying at Casa Cook in Kos - check it out. 

Wedding addict

Thanks Elz2017, that’s really helpful! We hadn’t looked at Essaoiria and it loold beautiful!

Thanks BlushBride12 but we’ve been to Greece plenty of times and it’s is beautiful but we are really interested in hearing recommendations for Morocco. 

Anyone else been & have any recommendations? 

Bridezilla

To add to Essaouria, it's really worth spending a couple of days in Marrakech as it is fascinating. If you've got some cash to burn, the Dar Zamora is an incredible hotel (possibly the most luxurious place I've ever stayed, think someone bringing you a cold towel to dab your brown as you bake by the pool...); or in the medina, and where I'd stay if I went back, is the Riad Enija. It's just gorgeous, like an oasis in the market. I'm told Fez is amazing as well. 

The Atlas mountains are also lovely but would probably be a bit chilly - I believe you can actually ski in the high atlas in winter!

Wedding addict

Elz2017- we are loving all these recommendations! If you have any more please keep them coming! 

We are definitely going to visit Marrakech while we are there! 

Bridezilla

I'll ask my friend - she travelled in Morocco for a month, and I just joined her for 10 days, so she knows way more. A couple of stuff to see tips though - the Jardin Marjorelle in Marrakech is beautiful; we spent a night in a Bedouin tent in the Sahara desert which was incredible - we went by camel, bloody uncomfortable. And mainly, eat loads of different tagines... Oh, and have a proper hammam, and cover yourself in argan oil, so good for the skin.

This is making me want to go again - it's really great, the people are very friendly as well. :-)

Wedding addict

Elz2017, yes please ask her! All recommendations gratefully received!

A Bedouin Tent in the sahara sounds amazing! Do you remember roughly how much it costs?

We are going to be flying in from Spain (probably Seville) and will probably have around 10 days in Morocco. Cant wait! 

Bridezilla

We stayed in Agadir for 11 nights and I would never go back.  We stayed in one of the best hotels there - a 5 star Riu and whilst there wasn't really anything wrong with it per se, it just wasn't all that.  The customer service (which you would expect to be superb at a 5 star) was shocking.  Whenever we needed something from reception (a blanket for the bed, an iron etc) we had to go back and ask at least 3 times as they just didn't respond.  Also the pool was freezing cold, too cold to use really, not what you would expect in August.  Maybe I'm just spoilt from our honeymoon in Mexico, which was just out of this world (such a shame Zika has spoiled it) but I just felt like I wanted more from it.

Also, when we left the hotel complex, there was a really strange vibe, like he locals hated us for being there.  I'm used to going to places like Turkey where everyone is so lovely to you (and grateful for the tourism) that having a gang of men deliberately charge towards you so you have to move out of the way felt very intimidating.  

Sorry, not a positive story or recommendation but I wouldn't go back.  Hopefully other areas are nicer x

Wedding addict

We also stayed in Agadir but this was back in 2011. I wouldn't return either to be honest I didn't feel overly comfortable leaving the resort alone although this was a month after the bombing in Marrakech which probably didn't help.  We did have a days guided tour up into the atlas mountains which was absolutely amazing and the people in the old Berber village were lovely.

The resort we stayed in was nice and staff very friendly. if I look back over my other holidays it doesn't really compare but then when I think about how much we spent we really can't complain.

For the price I just much prefer Greece.