Honeymoons

Camera vs Go pro for honeymoon

1 to 8 of 8 posts

Wedding addict

So I take pictures of everything but stick to smart phones and editing programs. So ive decided to invest in something for our wedding / honeymoon (maldives)

First off I thought of a go pro, perfect for underwater shots, handy and compact but after digging slightly they have bad reviews for batteries/storage.

I'm now looking at cameras. Those big huge things photographers use and I had no idea they also video these days (I think I'm still stuck in the 90's 🤣) 

I know this won't be for everyone but can anyone recommend a device or what they plan to use.

Makes and Model recommendations are more than welcome because at the moment all these numbers are trying my brain 

X

Bridezilla

I have both and tend to use both! Sorry if that's not much help.

I have the GoPro Hero 5, it's great for when we're being active, and it's either not convenient or practical to carry around a big camera. If you want underwater shots then it's perfect. Last year I used ours for climbing Snowdon, zip lining, Go Ape and a forest toboggan.
The battery life isn't great, however I have a spare battery so it doesn't bother me - that said I haven't actually had to use it so far. I tend to take short clips / photos rather than leave it recording for long periods though. The video quality is amazing (I film tend to film in HD & 4k)
The photos and videos can tend to look a bit 'fish eye', depending on what angle you have it set to.

I like to take a lot of scenery photos, and I wouldn't use my GoPro for these. So if we're out walking etc I always take my big camera and not my GoPro. You can't beat the photo quality from a proper digital camera in my opinion. I would say 95% of the time I use my camera over the GoPro.

If you want any more info you can PM me if you'd like x

Wedding addict

MissGx wrote (see post):

I have both and tend to use both! Sorry if that's not much help.

I have the GoPro Hero 5, it's great for when we're being active, and it's either not convenient or practical to carry around a big camera. If you want underwater shots then it's perfect. Last year I used ours for climbing Snowdon, zip lining, Go Ape and a forest toboggan.
The battery life isn't great, however I have a spare battery so it doesn't bother me - that said I haven't actually had to use it so far. I tend to take short clips / photos rather than leave it recording for long periods though. The video quality is amazing (I film tend to film in HD & 4k)
The photos and videos can tend to look a bit 'fish eye', depending on what angle you have it set to.

I like to take a lot of scenery photos, and I wouldn't use my GoPro for these. So if we're out walking etc I always take my big camera and not my GoPro. You can't beat the photo quality from a proper digital camera in my opinion. I would say 95% of the time I use my camera over the GoPro.

If you want any more info you can PM me if you'd like x

Thank you for your reply. What a shame a mixture of both hasn't been created yet hey 😂

I'm looking at the canon 1300d at the moment, like you I think I'd get more use out of it long-term (once I've worked out of it is a good camera or not 🤣).. but the go pro seems to be crucial for underwater/Action. Maybe I'll buy a cheaper water proof version to cover all basis 

Xx

Bridezilla

I know! We could do with a hybrid :)

If I was in your position and really the only reason you were considering a GoPro was for underwater shots, then I would invest in a decent camera and buy a cheaper alternative to the GoPro for the water shots. There's plenty out there that are just as good as the GoPro :)

Bridezilla

I use both. I have a Canon 700d with various lenses. 

My GoPro Hero4 actually takes good non-fish eye photos, if you play around the with the settings you can get some awesome photos.  

You can get some great cheap action cameras, sound quality on all action cameras is rubbish - the same on non action cameras.

Id day get the DSLR and practice before going on honeymoon and look on eBay for a used cheaper GoPro for the underwater shots. 

Bridezilla

Look up SJ4000 CAM, its a cheaper Gopro type camera, we have one, the quality is great but we still don't bother to use it that much, So Im glad we didn't spend full gopro money, maybe buy one of them for your action/ underwater stuff and then spend the majority of your budget on a good DSLR?

Wedding addict

I can’t make a comparison but we have just invested in a gopro for our honeymoon. We looked at buying a second hand one but ended up going with the the new Go Pro Hero because it is waterproof without needing the casing. We figured by the time we bought a second hand one and then all the extras to go with it we might as well just get a new one that didn’t need waterproof casing. We also plan on using ours for the wedding as well to take pictures/ video the ceremony.