Hair & make-up

Tips for hair growth?

1 to 12 of 12 posts

Bridezilla

I'm wanting very long hair for my wedding look and it's not short at all I just want it super long like covering my saggy mum boobs sorta length..

I bleach my hair which isn't something I'm williing to stop and it makes it more difficult. I get it trimmed every 6 weeks but it doesn't seem to be helping. Other than that I just shampoo and condition it once a week.

Any ideas?

Bridezilla

Ask your hairdresser if they can give you an Olapex treatment - has really helped my hair condition and I've had highlights with and without bleach for years. They also do an at home treatment you can use. Coconut oil works wonders on the ends too and is so cheap! I think good condition is the key to nice long hair and regular trims, which you are doing. I don't think there are any miracle pills or potions for growth besides a healthy diet with plenty of vitamins, not that I've known to actually work anyway!

Bridezilla

Time.  Time is the only thing absolutely guaranteed to make hair grow. 

I had an absolute disaster with my hair at a bad hairdresser about 4 years ago, who gave me a "chemical haircut" that lopped off about 6" of my hair. I've spent thousands (not hundreds) on every vitamin, potion, conditioner, supplement, mask, etc., that you can think of.  I've watched dozens of YouTube videos of girls oiling their hair for growth, making homemade masks for growth, blah blah blah. Yes, taking good care of your hair will strength it, but nothing other than time will actually make it grow.

Incidentally, trims do not make hair grow.  They make hair shorter. A trim helps to eliminate split ends which can cause the fray to move upwards, thereby damaging the hair shaft or even causing fallout. But a trim absolutely does not make hair grow or grow faster. 

The typical time-honoured advice for health hair:

Find a good shampoo and conditioner that you like, as well as a good detangler/ heat protectant spray.  Colour (or bleach in your case) your hair as infrequently as possible. Get enough protein in your diet (hair is made of protein). Don't overstyle with heat.  You can try a biotin-based supplement, but those can also cause acne, so buyer beware. (It totally broke me out and didn't stop.)  I've heard that washing less frequently is more gentle on hair as well, but my hair dramatically falls out more when I skip a day.  People also taut the benefits of sulfate free shampoo, but I've never noticed an improvement in my hair, and the internet sensation Russian girl with the waterfall of hair also uses shampoo with sulfates in it, so I think it's more a matter of what your individual hair does well with.  Detangle hair with a wide-toothed comb and never brush when wet (I also hate those wet brushes, they trash my hair). 

NONE of this is going to make your hair grow faster, but it will make hair stronger.  Stronger hair means less breakage, which will result in longer strands over time. My hair, four years later, is back to being mid-way down my back - but it's been at the exact same spot for about a year. I have a picture here behind me from exactly a year ago and it looks exactly the same. I've only had one or two small trims in that year. How fast hair grows and how long/ thick it can get is also genetic, so in my case, this is likely as good as it gets.

Bridezilla

Eat properly, get it cut less frequently, and wait x

New bride

I had hair that was at my jawline when i got engaged just over two years ago and now it is just about at the middle of my back. I dye my hair at home blonde as well. The best thing that I did to help my hair grow and get thicker was to stop straightening my hair everyday or heat treatments and i stopped blow drying my hair and let it dry naturally. Honestly my hair has been 100 times better since and is in a much better condition for it.

I haven't used any supplements so can't say anything on that front.

Also it takes time which as someone who likes to change her hair has taken tremendous willpower! x

Bridezilla

I don't use any heat on my hair anyway and I use a tangle brush which is really gentle.. It's just frustrating more than anything! Thanks for all the advice though xxx

Bridezilla

When I stopped bleaching, my hair grew like crazy after NOTHING else felt like it worked. I’m now at the point where I can’t wait to get married to chop it all off! 

I also try and wash it less, but use heat every day- if I felt confident stopping this I definitely would! 

Depending how dark your natural hair is, would you consider having it lightened rather than bleached? 

Bridezilla

Sian91 wrote (see post):

When I stopped bleaching, my hair grew like crazy after NOTHING else felt like it worked. I’m now at the point where I can’t wait to get married to chop it all off! 

I also try and wash it less, but use heat every day- if I felt confident stopping this I definitely would! 

Depending how dark your natural hair is, would you consider having it lightened rather than bleached? 

Definitely not haha my hair is naturally so dark brown it's practically black and I bleach it white lol 

Wedding addict

This may sound a little random and odd, but I noticed a major difference in hair and nail growth when I started taking folic acid after my wedding. If I'd known that could be a side effect I’d have been taking it before the wedding! 

Bridezilla

Mrs-17 wrote (see post):

This may sound a little random and odd, but I noticed a major difference in hair and nail growth when I started taking folic acid after my wedding. If I'd known that could be a side effect I’d have been taking it before the wedding! 

That's a good point - when I was taking my pregnancy vitamins my hair was amazing!