Hair & make-up

Bridesmaids hair

1 to 17 of 17 posts

New bride

Hello everyone

Just wanting an opinion. I'm thinking of having all of my bridesmaids having different hairstyles. Instead of the same. I just feel they all have such different personalities and I'd rather them have what they feel comfortable having.

Has anyone else ever had bridesmaids who have done this? If so how did it look?

Thank you in advance 😊😊💜

New bride

I’m not having bridesmaids at my wedding but I’m a hairstlyist and have done a few weddings where the bridesmaids got to pick their own hairstyles. I think it’s a great idea as They will feel comfortable and they get to show their personalities. In my opinion I don’t like the look of bridesmaids all looking like clones xx

New bride

Erin34 wrote (see post):

I’m not having bridesmaids at my wedding but I’m a hairstlyist and have done a few weddings where the bridesmaids got to pick their own hairstyles. I think it’s a great idea as They will feel comfortable and they get to show their personalities. In my opinion I don’t like the look of bridesmaids all looking like clones xx

Yeah that was exactly my thought I don't want them all to be massively similar..glad it's not just Me thinking it haha 

Thank you for the reply 😊😊

Wedding addict

I wasn't aware that bridesmaids had the same hairstyle?! It's not something I've ever seen.

Bridezilla

Echoing Lisa, I don't think I've seen too many weddings (if any?) where the BMs all had the same hair.  Unless you purposefully picked BMs with hair of the same length, texture, etc., I'm not even sure how this would be possible!  They should definitely go with a style that suits the hair they have and their personal style.

Wedding addict

LisaDToBe wrote (see post):

I wasn't aware that bridesmaids had the same hairstyle?! It's not something I've ever seen.

A few years ago when an old friend of mine got married, I was a bridesmaid and the bride insisted we all had the same hair, I didn’t like the style she chose at all, it wasn’t one I would ever choose for myself and I felt really uncomfortable. But it was her day so I didn’t make a fuss. So yes I’ve seen it done and no I don’t like it. I will let my bridesmaids have their hair however they like for my day. I think a comfortable bridesmaid is a happy bridesmaid and therefore the photographs come out better and more natural. In all of my friends wedding pictures I can see myself smiling falsely for the posed photographs because I’m really not comfortable with what I considered an unflattering hair style. 

Wedding addict

Michelle330 wrote 
A few years ago when an old friend of mine got married, I was a bridesmaid and the bride insisted we all had the same hair, I didn’t like the style she chose at all, it wasn’t one I would ever choose for myself and I felt really uncomfortable. But it was her day so I didn’t make a fuss. So yes I’ve seen it done and no I don’t like it. I will let my bridesmaids have their hair however they like for my day. I think a comfortable bridesmaid is a happy bridesmaid and therefore the photographs come out better and more natural. In all of my friends wedding pictures I can see myself smiling falsely for the posed photographs because I’m really not comfortable with what I considered an unflattering hair style. 

Blimey. I have a bit of a reputation for liking things 'just so' but I've told my bridesmaids they can have whatever hairstyle, make up, dress and shoes they like. As long as they're comfortable and happy, then so am I.

Bridezilla

I've been a bridesmaid at one where the hairstyles were all very similar (and didn't suit me at all!), and last time I was a bridesmaid we all had hair and make-up to suit our personalities (ranged from pretty loose curls and pink lippy to my own sharp bob and red lippy). I much preferred the second wedding, funnily enough... 

Bridezilla

My bridesmaids can have their hair however they like.

My friend made me have my curly hair straightened. It rarely stays straight more than an hour unless I do it myself, which I warned the hairdresser - it had gone frizzy and wavy before I'd even walked down the aisle!

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Bridezilla

My bridesmaids are all wearing different dresses already so would like a little conformity otherwise they are going to look like guests instead of a bridal party. Having said that, they all have different hair and different lengths so all I have said is a "very loose up do" - they should have enough leeway with that. 

Bridezilla

I’ve got six bridesmaids - all have hair long enough to be put up in some way so that’s pretty much all I’m asking. I’ve sent a few photos of styles I like - generally loose updos / braids or a wavy pony. I’d prefer them all to have hair up in some way but they don’t need to be identical and I don’t think that’s asking too much. They can take it down once the photos are over too. I prefer when there is some conformity to it but with a bit of flexibility for the girls to choose what looks right on them. I wore my hair up for my friend’s wedding - it isn’t what I would have chosen and generally dislike wearing my hair up, but the style itself was very pretty - it’s one day and I forgot about it quickly enough! It also looked way better in photos than my hair probably would have looked had i worn it down all day if I’d chosen a style I usually wear. I do think Updos with a good hairdresser have staying power more than a blowdry / hair down, which is important to me. 

Wedding addict

All my bridesmaids have got hair of different lengths so i’m letting them choose, I have stipulated I dont want very formal, tight, slicked back styles. More boho, loose curls, loose updo etc 

Bridezilla

My sole maid is choosing her own- I’m having mine down and she said shed have hers up then so we’re different. But if I’m being honest- I don’t care either way! 

Ive been to one wedding where all the bridesmaids had same hair, dress and make up...it looked a bit odd in my books

Bridezilla

I let all my bridesmaids choose their hairstyle, they all went for half up half down but that was their choice. I think everyone has different face shapes, types of hair etc and it looks better everyone having something that suits them rather than the same for the sake of it. 

Last year I was bridesmaid at my friends wedding one of us had half up and down, one curled to the side and I had all up, it looked fine! 

Personally I think happy bridesmaids, happy day! 

Bridezilla

Everytime I have been a BM I have had the same hair as the others, also I have never been to a wedding where their hairstyles were different lol (BMs always looked lovely and I never minded having the same styles as the others).

My 2 BMs are also having the same hair, but this their choice as I asked for ideas of what they liked and they both started sending me the same picstures lol they have different colour hair but both are long and can be styled straight or curly so no issue with it not working on one of them.

I think different hairstyles are nice! Go with what makes your BMs and you happy (I just happen to have only ever dealt with 'same hairstyle' BMs lol)

New bride

I am an experienced stylist and do wedding hair all the time. from my experience I can say that it looks the best when bridesmaids have different hair styles, we all have dif hair type, face structure so what would suit one wouldn’t suit another girl. Let girls do what they prefer but maybe keep it in a similar trend, like all up, or down and soft, half up etc. it will be lookin great and personalised for every girl and looking balanced as well :) xxx