Getting started

Stationery - what did you pay?

1 to 20 of 27 posts

Bridezilla

I diyd mine so I have no idea what they usually cost and I'm wanting to start making and selling STDs, invites, place names, signage etc. I'll have a look on etsy where I'll be selling  from and other places to get an idea of prices as well but I want to make something really personal. It'll definitely include a personalised illustration of the bride and groom - would that warrant a few extra pennies or not?

Basically for those who didn't DIY but bought theirs - what did you pay and what did you get?

(our save the date featuring illustration)

Bridezilla

I paid around £140 and for this I got STD magnet with matching envelopes x50, invites and matching envelopes x50, evening invites and matching envelopes x10, envelope stickers x120

Edit: Added pics for reference

Save The Dates

Invites

My Planning Thread - 'Tis The Season to be Married

SW - 10st 12lb

CW - 10st 4lb

GW - 8st 5lb       

New bride

I did my save the dates as just an image on picmonkey and sent them around on WhatsApp.

The invite design I bought off Etsy. I got invites printed in India for £250 quid of which £80 was for the gold foil lettering. This was meant to be for 180 invite cards plus two sets of details cards and thick gorgeous scented envelopes but he ended up giving us around 250 for some reason. I was getting quotes of over a grand to have them printed in the UK as they are on heavy pearl paper. Not sure what I would have done if I hadnt have been going to India.

Bridezilla

We used Vistaprint to print are own designs n paid less then £100 for 60 StD, 50 Wedding invites, 80 Evening invites, 30 thank ou cards n a couple of sheets of envelope seal stickers, all on recycled paper.  Really happy with quality.

Bridezilla

Sugar Silvia wrote (see post):

Good question!

If you are thinking of selling your products on Etsy or other platforms such as Ebay and Amazon you need to do some research before you jump into it.

There are quite a few things to think about first:

1. Cost of materials (card, embellishments, ink, twine, envelopes...)

2. Fees that all these platforms will charge you to sell through them: Ebay 10 -13%, Amazon 20%, Etsy 3%.

3. Don't forget to take into account Paypal fees (4%)

4. Delivery charges to post to your customers

5. Last but not least, your time, which is very valuable. You have to put a price on that too!

Let us know if you have any questions as we will be more than happy to help you!

Silvia @ https://wwww.sugarcrushweddings.com

:)

Thank you :) I've put together a business plan with ymy fiance which is looking pretty sound so far! I don't have a job so hoping this will be a job I'm able to do and my fiance is a marketing manager so hopefully he can help the business become bigger (fingers crossed!)

Bridezilla

I personally wouldn't pay more than £3.50 an invite- our save the dates were about £1.50 each including the envelope.

Are you planning to draw them all by hand or draw one then produce more using a computer? There's lots of people doing this and more online so would wonder if the market is quite saturated with established companies?

Bridezilla

Sian91 wrote (see post):

I personally wouldn't pay more than £3.50 an invite- our save the dates were about £1.50 each including the envelope.

Are you planning to draw them all by hand or draw one then produce more using a computer? There's lots of people doing this and more online so would wonder if the market is quite saturated with established companies?

All hand made - it's what I enjoy doing and I don't have much else going on lol and also even if a few people are doing personali illustrations, every artist has a different style!

Bridezilla

If this isn't appropriate then of course admin can delete it that's fine but could y'all help me name the store please?  I want to name it after my son August so I've got either 

AugustDayDesigns

Or 

AugustSkiesDesigns

Any opinions welcome!

Wedding addict

Made my own, 85 save the date, 50 day and 35 evening invites. Materials cost around £50.

Bridezilla

I know I'm being the worst bcos i think  we can all agree people advertising or asking people to help with their business etc is super annoying and gets in the way of real discussion but this thread is already up so I'm not making another one, I'm not posting a link or anything I just want some feedback please! I've made my first few mock ups and wanted to get opinions. Basically are they ready to sell yet? The idea being that I create a personalised illustration of the couple, they can choose the colours and any particular flowers they want on it for example.

Wedding addict

We are going down the digital route for us.

I am using greenvelope to send them out with RSVPIFY plugged into that for menu and acceptance tracking and table planning, it also comes with an app so people can accept on that too. We are building a website on square space. It's just easier and a lot cheaper as our guests are coming from UK, USA, Singapore, Malaysia, UAE, Australia - the postage would cost a fortune.

We are doing token keepsake invites for the family so a print run of maybe 15. Total cost for us is around £100-£200 all in for website, greenvelope, rsvpify, design template and print cost. 

Wedding addict

Awhelenqt wrote (see post):

I know I'm being the worst bcos i think  we can all agree people advertising or asking people to help with their business etc is super annoying and gets in the way of real discussion but this thread is already up so I'm not making another one, I'm not posting a link or anything I just want some feedback please! I've made my first few mock ups and wanted to get opinions. Basically are they ready to sell yet? The idea being that I create a personalised illustration of the couple, they can choose the colours and any particular flowers they want on it for example.

These are beautiful! I would buy for sure x

Bridezilla

These look great! 

Do you mind me pointing something out though? On the ones that that say ‘we‘re getting hitched‘ the ! looks more like a ? to me. Obviously, it’s a statement not a question. I hope you don’t mind me mentioning that!

Bridezilla

The ones you’ve shown are probably nearly there. I agree they need to be digital too- for quality control/consistency and to make it feasible for you to make any money. 

The designs look cool and going down the digital route would add an extra layer of professionalism. DIY is cute but it’s best when it’s your own DIY? Amazing for your own invitation and guests knowing the bride/groom did them but slightly odd to purchase and send in my opinion If they look homemade. 

Bridezilla

First off, I think they are beautiful. And I do like the concept of personalizing the couple. However I agree that that business wise this might be a problem. At the same time it's definitely a unique selling point.

But I do think there is a compromise between the two. You could for instance offer both readymade digital print invites as your bread and butter. But then have an option for a completely personalised original one. At a higher cost of course. Or you could create an add-on where you personalise just the characters. Or you could do all of those options.

Bridezilla

Beth78 wrote (see post):

I think they are beautiful, honestly, as a business plan, I would say just in terms of man hours, you should draw the base then reproduce via a printer Then hand draw the finer details if you want to, honestly the man hours it would take just to produce 1 then to exactly reproduce it 100+ more times it just wouldnt be viable as a business, and you would start to resent it! Honestly for a really well made invite I would be happy to spend £6-8 per invite, including rsvp/information/ menu cards etc. 

I will also say say that I wouldn’t want to wait more than 2-3 weeks for dispatch on my invitations or it would really put me off (due to viability of reclaim if something should go wrong) so again hand producing each one would be far too much time and stress on you! 

ETA: Iqras hair doesn’t quite look right, I can see what you were trying to convey but it doesn’t work for me so as a sample of your work I would redo that one without the break in the plait

Way ahead of you! All the components of these were made separately. I made all the backgrounds then scanned them in to use in the future, I've made a master page of fonts and different writing, then the flowers and leaves are all separate as well and of course the couple then I scan them all in to my laptop and edit them all together.

I've also decided to go down the route of selling the image instead of making and sending physical invitations. so I'll create the personalised image then they can buy it for £40-50 and print as many as they want. It'll work out cheaper for them if they have loads of guests and me looking after my 1 year old means I'll have more time :)

Bridezilla

Nottinghamshirebride wrote (see post):

These look great! 

Do you mind me pointing something out though? On the ones that that say ‘we‘re getting hitched‘ the ! looks more like a ? to me. Obviously, it’s a statement not a question. I hope you don’t mind me mentioning that!

I absolutely don't mind! This is why I wanted feedback. I wouldn't want to charge someone for something that isn't perfect! I'll go and change it on my master list :) thank you 

Bridezilla

DandelionBlue wrote (see post):

First off, I think they are beautiful. And I do like the concept of personalizing the couple. However I agree that that business wise this might be a problem. At the same time it's definitely a unique selling point.

But I do think there is a compromise between the two. You could for instance offer both readymade digital print invites as your bread and butter. But then have an option for a completely personalised original one. At a higher cost of course. Or you could create an add-on where you personalise just the characters. Or you could do all of those options.

I probably should've explained what I've decided to do haha that is how it'll work, I'm making loads of mock ups now so people can just pick the design which I already have saved on my laptop then I just have to draw the couple which doesn't take much time at all! And the only reason I would offer different colours is because I've got a whole inventory of the different colours lol I've created everything I'll need now before I open and while my fiance can watch our son so that when we go live it's literally just the couple drawing and minimal effort :P

Bridezilla

Sian91 wrote (see post):

The ones you’ve shown are probably nearly there. I agree they need to be digital too- for quality control/consistency and to make it feasible for you to make any money. 

The designs look cool and going down the digital route would add an extra layer of professionalism. DIY is cute but it’s best when it’s your own DIY? Amazing for your own invitation and guests knowing the bride/groom did them but slightly odd to purchase and send in my opinion If they look homemade. 

This is really helpful thank you! Could you tell me what specifically you think looks too homemade? Like the background, the drawing, the writing etc? Because I don't have the equipment or know how to digitally draw the couple :/

Bridezilla

Beth78 wrote (see post):
Awhelenqt wrote (see post):
Beth78 wrote (see post):

I think they are beautiful, honestly, as a business plan, I would say just in terms of man hours, you should draw the base then reproduce via a printer Then hand draw the finer details if you want to, honestly the man hours it would take just to produce 1 then to exactly reproduce it 100+ more times it just wouldnt be viable as a business, and you would start to resent it! Honestly for a really well made invite I would be happy to spend £6-8 per invite, including rsvp/information/ menu cards etc. 

I will also say say that I wouldn’t want to wait more than 2-3 weeks for dispatch on my invitations or it would really put me off (due to viability of reclaim if something should go wrong) so again hand producing each one would be far too much time and stress on you! 

ETA: Iqras hair doesn’t quite look right, I can see what you were trying to convey but it doesn’t work for me so as a sample of your work I would redo that one without the break in the plait

Way ahead of you! All the components of these were made separately. I made all the backgrounds then scanned them in to use in the future, I've made a master page of fonts and different writing, then the flowers and leaves are all separate as well and of course the couple then I scan them all in to my laptop and edit them all together.

I've also decided to go down the route of selling the image instead of making and sending physical invitations. so I'll create the personalised image then they can buy it for £40-50 and print as many as they want. It'll work out cheaper for them if they have loads of guests and me looking after my 1 year old means I'll have more time :)

I would NEVER fork out £50 for just the image that I then have to print and make into invitations. Infact if I was making my own invitations I wouldn’t pay Anything for just an image. I’m really sorry but I don’t think that’s a viable business plan. but I would pay £6-8 per invite if something like this was made for me. 

I only chose that price point based on research of similar personalised products selling the digital image - they generally appear to be about £50 so like people with 100 guests would be getting a bargain especially if they choose not to send physical invites and send them around digitally. Honestly before I started researching it I thought it was a bit mad too but there is a market for it and people are paying for it so I'm thinking £40 at a lower price point while I'm starting I'll still make a profit